Plywood - Ultraply XL | SouthernPaddler.com

Plywood - Ultraply XL

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Found at Lowe's here in Atlanta GA area. Looks to be a high grade Luan type product. They are selling it for around $20.00 per sheet and calling it premium underlayment. It is 5.2 mm, very smooth and low defect on both faces, few voids visible in the edges, and is supposed to be made with marine grade glue.

www.morelandcompany.com

Anyone heard of it or used it?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Does it taste like peanut butter
Sorry Chucxk but just couldnt let that pass bye :shock:
Gbinga sorry its an old joke on here, I have never seen that product
Ron

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
I like it...

After seeing your post about this material. I checked the local Lowe's and came home with three sheets for my project.
It is just as you said and handles well in my hands. 8)
Thanks!

Peanut butter? Nope, tastes like chicken. :D

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I just got the bottom glued on my Uncle Johns Pirogue tonight. No complaints with the Ultraply. So far it has been everything it claims to be. It is certainly more fun to work with than the BC pine I've used in the past, and seems to be more substantial than the average luan.

George

TeddyMadison

Apr 30, 2008
Rhode Island, United States
I just used some of this for some bird show boxes (the wife is a breeder and I sell show boxes to fund my hobby). I was using the Birch ply that Lowes has but that stuff shot up 6 bucks a sheet and then I spotted the underlayment. Both faces are very smooth, as far as voides, it seems to be on par with the birch. Low or high I cannot say but it is better than the lauan. My Laker is built from lauan (first build) and will go back into production soon as we are getting warm weather again but my next build I think I will take a shot at the underlayment. I just need to see if I can sand out the "X" marks that are all over one side without cutting throught the outer laminate. I had issues with sanding the laminate off of the lauan.

Teddy

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
DSC05293-1.jpg

I hope the stuff is fine. It passed the abusive dishwasher test for me. The face seems to be birch. We all know or should know that birch was in the Spruce Goose airplane and many airplane parts were made from it. I glued up white cedar on the outside and will sandwich the plywood with insulated foam board and will also do a wood overlay. I don't know it sanding the x off of it it that big of a deal especially since I personally would never consider varnishing the plywood anyway. So paint should also cover the x's.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
In my case I put the labled surface on the outside and painted it, and used the good side (looks like luan which basically looks like mahogany) on the inside with a clear finish. I've never put a clear finish on the outside (personal preference) so that works for me.

For that matter, I don't know that I've ever seen a $10 sheet of luan that had two good sides anyhow. Usually you have to hunt for one with one nice side and one side that is funky.

George

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I meant to put the pretty side in but attached the first piece to the stem with the pretty side out. Oh well...

I found 1 small void in the $9 luan I used. Not saying that there aren't more, that's just the only one I saw.