plywood | SouthernPaddler.com

plywood

aeromotorwindmill

Jan 13, 2007
Georgia Tennessee
Starting a new boat today, last one I used birch underlayment that was put together with exterior glue, then i covered it with a couple coats of epoxy resin, paint and poly....I was wonding if regular plywod would hold up if it is done the same way.... and suggestions?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Windmill,

Others will tell you differently - I'm a stick in the mud on this subject. While others often use cheaper wood, I remain true to Okoume Mahogany BS1088 ply. I prefer the 4mm.

This wood has a consistent configuration without voids and fills. It is beautiful to work with and to look at when dome. It is light and strong. It is also expensive, but well worth it in my view. Other builders have other perspectives.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I don't recommend that you do this but it is something that I do and it drives Jack NUT'S ( Which is a short drive).

The boats , except for the Pygmy Coho , were all made out of 1/8th inch Luann at $9.95 a sheet. The wood was epoxy saturated and totally glassed to protect it. As of this date I am still paddling them an have not had any problems with them.
There were a couple of the boats where I had to fill a void in the panel with epoxy and wood flour and I think it added some character to them.

All I know is that it works for me. That is the reason my boats are from 32 pounds to 40 pounds.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
A craftier guy than me can use the luan. Different perspectives.

The weight of the boat, however, would be identical with either 1/8" luan or 1/8" Okoume.

I , Choke , Gasp , Sniffle have to agree with you on that but the Luann left my wallet a lot heavier then the Okoume would of.

As I said , that ( what I did ) is not for everyone , someone might try it and have there boat fall apart , So use good wood when in doubt.

Chuck.

aeromotorwindmill

Jan 13, 2007
Georgia Tennessee
Thanks

who might carry the Okoume Mahogany BS1088 ply and what can i expect to pay per sheet? I am in Atlanta, the only place that has and special woods is Peach State Lumber here and man or they high, I been buying a little cypress from them and they think a lot it....

aeromotorwindmill

Jan 13, 2007
Georgia Tennessee
another

another pirogue similar to the other one I built "its posted on here" , this one is for my 9 year old nephew......he has a birthday coming up soon and they have a small pond on their farm, thought I would get the long man started off in the right direction with his own boat....