Pocket knives. | SouthernPaddler.com

Pocket knives.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Just curiuos. Over the past fifty years or so, I have carried dozens of pocket knives, worn out a bunch, broke a couple, lost more.
I usually carry either two or three pocket knives: A main blade, a small stockman of some sort, and a cheapo "Do everything" tool type knife.
My current favorite are: Main blade, just used for cutting generally, "BenchMade", Mel Pardue design. It has the best lock I have ever seen, holds an edge very well, difficult to sharpen. American made.
The current stockman is an American made Case.It's a back up to the main blade, and at least one blade is kept super sharp and never used. In case I have to perform surgery some time, or something. (or in the unLikely event I might want to shave.)
The cheapo is just that, I think I paid four bucks for it. It has the screw drivers, scissors, the all important corkscrew, and a blade that I don't mind ruining if the occasion calls for it.
What are your Favorites?

Mutinousdoug

May 7, 2005
Colorado
My EDC is a Case Med Stockman and a little single blade SAK for picking splinters and cleaning my fingernails.
I've carried Kayak Jack's Gerber multi-tool as well as a Leatherman and a Spyderco whatchamacallit but don't care for any of them as I couldn't get them to do any job as well as a dedicated tool and they all weigh about as much as a small revolver. Unless I'm camping, I guess I'm rarely far enough away from my truck and tool bag not to go get the tool I need.
For camping I have my EDCs along as well as a 3-4" fixed blade and a SAK with a corkscrew (just in case). The blade on the SAK is sharp and rugged enough to slice cheeze and such but I figure it is pretty much a throwaway if I needed to use it to do any real work.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On any camping trip I have my Victorinox Swiss Army "Champ" Knife. It is a portable tool kit and has everything but a pad to make notes on , even has a pen with it. It is in a sheath and attached to my belt.

In my pocket is a 3 1/2 inch folding lock blade pocket knife which is really sharp ...(Great for digging Vienna's out of there can , very carefully ) a gift from Cabelas to me a while back. The food kit has a sharp fixed blade filleting knife for kitchen duties or a Bo Randall 5 inch blade sheath knife.

The pack has a Gerber "Gator" for any serious cutting or in its place a Marine Corps "K"Bar which has been with me since the early 60's.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
two blade stockman buck pocket knife I have had this knife for twenty odd years done everything from wire stripping to gutting a bunch of deer with it
4 inch blade fixed blade an old knife but don't know the brand It is usually attached to my pfd
ontario knife machete for all the rest of the chores
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I carry a "Dupre' special" prototype pocket knife. Has a single 2 3/4" drop point blade and scales made from the front cover of brass electrical junction box. Tough as nails and ugly as sin. Cooking box has a the big, hulkin' bowie knife(made from a John Deere lawn mower blade) and a sharpening steel. I consider a steel to be a necessity. A few licks on the steel and you have a new edge. Sharp knives cut rope, skin animals, clean fish-- dull knives cut YOU! Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Got a Buck, 2 blade jobbie that sits in the drawer. About 20 years old now.

Paddling, I carry a quality filleting knife in a sheath that is screwed to each of my boats. It is my knife, very sharp, Holds a superb edge and is used only for cutting fish.

I make my General Purpose knives out of a old cross cut saw. Very basic, but sharp, hold a good edge and have a blade of usefull length.

I have no time for blunt knives or for knives with dinki little blades. :p

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Cheap folder, razor sharp. 6$

bows.jpg

jvmorton2002

Jan 22, 2008
Wichita,KS
I've always been big on the leatherman(I don't go camping without a couple of them) as for my pocket knife it's either my 4" junglee or my benchmade automatic- they're really handy, easy to open one-handed, and hold an edge very well. I also carry my sharpening kit with me camping for my friends who don't keep their knives sharp...