Polenta | SouthernPaddler.com

Polenta

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Or I guess you can call it Italian Grits.
Polenta is a Northern Italian staple. It used to be called a peasant food because it was inexpensive. I know I ate my share of it at Grannys when I was young and have started eating it again. The Dr. said I should be eating more from the Mediterranean Diet for healthy heart, well I did but I'm still eating everything else too. :roll: Anyway, I think it can be used as a camping food since all you need to carry is a bag of cornmeal. Would be a good dinner since it is hot and very filling.

About 4 cups of water(you can substitute half water and chicken broth for added flavor).

1 cup of cornmeal
1 tsp of salt.
In a heavy saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to boil, mix the remaining cup of water with the cornmeal and salt. Add this to the boiling water slowly while stirring. Stir and cook until it returns to boil than reduce heat to low heat. Stir and cook for about 20 minutes or until it is thick and smooth.

Spoon it into bowls or a pie pan. Now you can top it with tomato sauce and grated cheese. You can also get creative and top it with whatever you want, Kahunas peppers onions and garlic, or sausage and mushrooms. Maybe just some good olive oil and grated cheese.

If you have some leftover from the pie pan that you havn't added a topping to, you can save it for morning and fry it for breakfast and throw on a dab of butter. I have even had it grilled topped with grilled peppers onion and mushrooms. I also like sprinkling ground hot pepper on mine.

Polenta is cheap, filling and good. When you top it with tomato sauce and grated cheese and maybe some thin sliced pepperoni, may I suggest a nice bottle Chianti, Montepulciano d' Abruzzo or hell even Merlot would work. :wink: Great on a cool night in camp!

(They also have an instant polenta that's easy to prepare, you can get a box at an Italian store) "Boun Appetito!" "Alla Salute"

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Okay..I knew we had anothr Italian or two in the group.. I was raised on this also...good stuff!! KAHUNA
oldyaker said:
Or I guess you can call it Italian Grits.
Polenta is a Northern Italian staple. It used to be called a peasant food because it was inexpensive. I know I ate my share of it at Grannys when I was young and have started eating it again. The Dr. said I should be eating more from the Mediterranean Diet for healthy heart, well I did but I'm still eating everything else too. :roll: Anyway, I think it can be used as a camping food since all you need to carry is a bag of cornmeal. Would be a good dinner since it is hot and very filling.

About 4 cups of water(you can substitute half water and chicken broth for added flavor).

1 cup of cornmeal
1 tsp of salt.
In a heavy saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to boil, mix the remaining cup of water with the cornmeal and salt. Add this to the boiling water slowly while stirring. Stir and cook until it returns to boil than reduce heat to low heat. Stir and cook for about 20 minutes or until it is thick and smooth.

Spoon it into bowls or a pie pan. Now you can top it with tomato sauce and grated cheese. You can also get creative and top it with whatever you want, Kahunas peppers onions and garlic, or sausage and mushrooms. Maybe just some good olive oil and grated cheese.

If you have some leftover from the pie pan that you havn't added a topping to, you can save it for morning and fry it for breakfast and throw on a dab of butter. I have even had it grilled topped with grilled peppers onion and mushrooms. I also like sprinkling ground hot pepper on mine.

Polenta is cheap, filling and good. When you top it with tomato sauce and grated cheese and maybe some thin sliced pepperoni, may I suggest a nice bottle Chianti, Montepulciano d' Abruzzo or hell even Merlot would work. :wink: Great on a cool night in camp!

(They also have an instant polenta that's easy to prepare, you can get a box at an Italian store) "Boun Appetito!" "Alla Salute"
:D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We had a lot of it to eat when I was a kid. I like it made with beef broth and chunks of beef (roast or boiled) mixed in. We Krauts called it scrapple. Fried corn meal mush with maple syrup (the good stuff from the nawth) is JARVIS good eatin!!

An even simpler way to eat it if you're traveling fast and light, is a few table spoons of cornmeal in a cup of water. A few of those will get you through a day on the move. Add jerky and maybe some dried apples and you're well fed.

Jean

Polenta Recipe

Swampy, If you like Polenta, you will like this recipe. Also, thanks for the kind words about the foods.
Jean :wink:

Polenta Triangles

3 cups cold water
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Golden Onion or Onion Soup mix
1 ( 4 oz ) mild chopped green chiles, drained
1/2 cup thawed frozen or drained can whole kernel corn
1/3 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

In 3 quart saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. With wire
whisk, stir in cornmeal, then soup mix. Reduce heat to low and simmer
uncovered, stirring constantly, 25 minutes or until thickened. Stir in
chiles, corn and roasted red peppers. Spread into lightly greased 9 inch
square baking pan; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand 20 minutes or until
firm; cut into triangles. Serve at room temperature or heat in oven at
350º for 5 minutes or until warm.

[/quote]

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Re: Polenta Recipe

You are makeing me so hungry and lunch is three hours away!!! This would be good with my leftover campfire chili I made out camping this weekend!! Kahuna :D
Jean said:
Swampy, If you like Polenta, you will like this recipe. Also, thanks for the kind words about the foods.
Jean :wink:

Polenta Triangles

3 cups cold water