Polish Kapusta | SouthernPaddler.com

Polish Kapusta

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Hi, Being Italian/Polish I love traditional family recipes. many are easily adaptable to Camping Cuisine. Here is a great hearty dish for the Dutch Oven. Thanks Kahuna Polish Kapusta

1 large onion, chopped
1 large head of cabbage, shopped
1 large can sauerkraut(rinsed)
1 large can tomatoes, chopped
8 slices bacon
1 1/2-2 pounds of kielbasa
salt and pepper to taste
garlic to taste(lots of this)

Fry bacon and set aside. Saute onion and garlic until brown in bacon drippings. In a large pot or Dutch oven, add onion, garlic, cabbage, sauerkraut, tomatoes, garlic, crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and enough water to fill pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours. Cut kielbasa in 3-4" chunks. Add to kapusta. Ciij fir 1/2 hour. Cool and
refrigerate. Reheat the next day. Wonderful served with thick slices
of dark bread.
:lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:
Kahuna said:
< Ciij fir 1/2 hour.>
Dang it Kahuna, did you have to write part of the instructions in Polish? Can you translate for we deprived English-only speakers? :shock:
Tom,

I'm glad you pointed out that it was Polish. I was betting on Greek, Hebrew, or Sanskrit.

I've remarked the burners on my stove to LOW MED & CIIJ

New batteries in the smoke detector so I can tell when dinner's done.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Kahuna said:
Hi, Being Italian/Polish I love traditional family recipes. many are easily adaptable to Camping Cuisine. Here is a great hearty dish for the Dutch Oven. Thanks Kahuna Polish Kapusta

1 large onion, chopped
1 large head of cabbage, shopped
1 large can sauerkraut(rinsed)
1 large can tomatoes, chopped
8 slices bacon
1 1/2-2 pounds of kielbasa
salt and pepper to taste
garlic to taste(lots of this)

Fry bacon and set aside. Saute onion and garlic until brown in bacon drippings. In a large pot or Dutch oven, add onion, garlic, cabbage, sauerkraut, tomatoes, garlic, crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, and enough water to fill pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours. Cut kielbasa in 3-4" chunks. Add to kapusta. Ciij fir 1/2 hour. Cool and
refrigerate. Reheat the next day. Wonderful served with thick slices
of dark bread.
:lol:
Are you sure this is kapusta?? Could it be used for catfish bait too?

Just so's you don't get upset, I copied it into my recipe collection. Sounds potent. Add soem Great Norhtern beans and this stuff would double for artillery as well as gas.[/code]

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
sigh... wife doesn't want sauerkraut... whaaaaa.... that would leave meat and veggies.... whaaaaa :cry:
Do ya have to wait one day 'fore eatin this? Looks ok for immediate serving.... waitin on food around here can be dangerous to ones good health..
swampy

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
RE:Leave out the Kraut???

you can leave out the sauerkraut but not the cabbage. OR visa vera. KAHUNA
Swampy said:
sigh... wife doesn't want sauerkraut... whaaaaa.... that would leave meat and veggies.... whaaaaa :cry:
Do ya have to wait one day 'fore eatin this? Looks ok for immediate serving.... waitin on food around here can be dangerous to ones good health..
swampy

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Kapusta for you...

Just watched the guys and gals here at work devour a whole pot of "Kapusta" in celebration of the beginning of "POLISH HERITAGE MONTH". They all loved it!!! Now they are opening the windows for the after-effects!! :lol: KAHUNA
Kahuna said:
you can leave out the sauerkraut but not the cabbage. OR visa vera. KAHUNA
Swampy said:
swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Similar.

Mom makes it too Kahuna, just a little different. She sautes the onion in butter instead bacon, than she adds a little flour to make a rue. Than she throws every thing else you use except tomatos. She also don't wash the kraut to give it that kick of sour. No cabbage either. Comes out like a polish soup with kraut and kolbassi. I usally don't plan any long drives or canoe trips after eating it. Better to stay in the house close to the library if you get my drift. Don't want any surprises! :shock:

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Re: Similar.(sumpin Polish)

Didn't kow ya'll was Polish or sumpin' like dat?? KAHUNA :oops:
oldyaker said:
Mom makes it too Kahuna, just a little different. She sautes the onion in butter instead bacon, than she adds a little flour to make a rue. Than she throws every thing else you use except tomatos. She also don't wash the kraut to give it that kick of sour. No cabbage either. Comes out like a polish soup with kraut and kolbassi. I usally don't plan any long drives or canoe trips after eating it. Better to stay in the house close to the library if you get my drift. Don't want any surprises! :shock: