Pool Session | SouthernPaddler.com

Pool Session

nobucks

--

Anytime you leave the pool without drowning is a good pool session!

This evening at the pool, which I had all to myself, I missed a roll and came up in the Petrussen and was just floating there, face up, kayak down with my ears under water and my back to the door of the pool area. Suddenly, one of the ladies from the YWCA was standing there poolside talking to me. I brought my head up and pulled the hood of the tuilik away from my ear so I could hear.

"Do you need help?"

"Nope, just relaxing here, trying to decide what I should do next."

"Okay. Some of the kids saw you floating here and thought you were stuck, so they wanted me to come down and check on you."

Turns out the kids had been standing at the window in the second floor workout area watching me roll (or not, as the case may be). I thanked her and told her that it was nice to know that if I end up floating face down someone would probably notice.

islandpiper

Fascinating........good exercise for you young guys, and one more reason some of us old farte's paddle pirogues. Keep up the good work. I want to see you take this out to Presque Isle where the power plant keeps the water open all winter and give it a try. :eek:

piper

gator_8_em

Oct 30, 2005
Southeast Georgia
My first thought was it HAD to be an indoor / heated pool this time of year. I had decided two years ago that I'd get in the pool (summertime) and learn a role. I even saved on the puter some clips of different roles, man those guys make it look easy, so I'd be ready to learn at least one style, heck, maybe two or three. Well, didn't happen......but it's on my list for this year.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joel,

If you are ever face down, have your wife send me an email and I'll be there directly.

Offer not good in Alaska or Hawaii
Slightly higher west of the Rockies
Batteries not included
No turnips in pasties

nobucks

islandpiper said:
I want to see you take this out to Presque Isle where the power plant keeps the water open all winter and give it a try.

Well, didn't happen......but it's on my list for this year.

Actually, I drove out to Presque Isle last night on my way home. There were three ore boats tied up at the ore dock. I suppose they are waiting out the high winds on the Lake. The water was steaming and I was thinking that I should get my drysuit and give it a try on Sunday when the air temp hits 40.

I've been trying to roll for three years now and became very proficient at the 3/4 roll. The last 1/4 of the roll fell into place when I learned to side scull for support. With a Greenland paddle, it's the same motion to sweep up when you roll. I don't remember if I posted the video last week or not, so forgive me if you've seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hS0NlBc9g

It is odd, being able to do what I used to think had to be a magic trick. But, I can only do it on one side so far. I made 14 out of 18 last night, but one of the rolls that I missed I was trying on my weak side. I don't have the muscle memory on that side yet. It felt like I had no idea what I was doing, so I still have plenty to learn.

The Petrussen Maneuver is pretty slick. Even if you can't roll, you don't have to exit if you capsize. Twist, grab the hull, and pull your face out of the water and call for help. You can roll up on the bow of your buddy's kayak.

Jack, I'll get one of those new GPS trackers with the emergency button and I'll have you as my primary contact. If you push the button, it sends an email to whomever you designate. Then, if I get in trouble, you can drive up and rescue me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
nobucks said:
...Jack, I'll get one of those new GPS trackers with the emergency button and I'll have you as my primary contact. If you push the button, it sends an email to whomever you designate. Then, if I get in trouble, you can drive up and rescue me.
"HELP! I've fallen (in) and can't get up!" I'll be the one rushing along the highway to get there.

Seriously, I do want to get up there to meet you. There's another Marquetteian I want to meet at the same time, Ray Hiller. Tough olde geezer [email protected] 30 year Army man.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
We're gonna have to have an inventory of emergency situations, and rank them for seriousity. Mitigating circumstances will have to be accounted for too. Geezer triage.

Where's all our GIT's so we can get then enrolled in Last Aid classes for us geezers? They have to learn to say things like, "Alas, poor Kayak. I knew him well. He was a unique and truly outstanding sun of a beech."

Of course, a tear or two would be appropriate too.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Ya know Jack that may not be a bad Idea Start a post on Home Remedies or emergency procedures we all could view and add too. I remember someone posting signs of a stroke. Maybe thing like that or how you survived a traumatic accident.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
Ya know Jack that may not be a bad Idea Start a post on Home Remedies or emergency procedures we all could view and add too. I remember someone posting signs of a stroke. Maybe thing like that or how you survived a traumatic accident.

That was me ..
Page #3 General Section , Oct 17 , 2007.. Here it is.

Here is something all of you should know if not for your own safety and recovery then a friends. It is really easy to do and will save a life , your's or a friends.

Chuck.

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

*Ask the individual to SMILE.

*Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

*Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE.

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.
After discovering that a group of non medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

Now tell your friends about this test it could save your life or a different friend of theres and yours.

I also posted this on ...........

1. Matt's forum ... Jem Watercraft ... http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Hi Nobucks
Your videos make me want to learn more of the technics of the kayak roll and recovery. When you get more pool time can you demonstrate some others and describe what you are doing with your paddle. I have never been in a kayak, but you never know when I may build one of JEM's so a little sage advise.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I would agree fortunately most of the rivers I float are just a few feet deep so just stand up. However I don't always float here only and at least some idea might be a help somewhere down the river.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I am not exactly young, nor am I yet a geezer, but I can roll a kayak.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n200 ... t=Roll.flv

Good reasons you should learn to roll a kayak.
1. Its a very easy way to cool off while paddling here in Florida in the middle of summer.
2. Beats having to exit the boat, swim the boat to shore, empty the boat, get back in, and head off again.
3. When paddling over the springs here in Florida, put a diving mask on, roll over and observe the fish and turtle and stuff from a unique perspective.
4. Tourist on the tour boats like the show, esp. when you are taking your time rolling back up. Something about seeing an upside down boat, makes some people kind panicky.
5. It is a very cool trick, looks much harder than it actually is, but dont tell them that..

6. Women dig a guy who can roll a kayak. :wink:

DM
mike

nobucks

--

I agree with DM's list of reasons to roll, esp. #2.

Recalling our recent discussion of hypothermia, rolling is a good skill to have on cold water or in rough water. Hypothermia is another good reason also to have the Petrussen Maneuver because you sit basically dry inside the kayak. When you get a hand back up, yuo don't have to pump the kayak out and you're not cold and wet.

Chuck, thanks for the list of steps in a stroke check. What's the saying? Time lost is brain lost.

Bob, if you tip over and drop your beer, that's a good time to try to swim your kayak. Stay in the kayak, float to the surface and do a dog paddle/side stroke, retrieve the beer, and do a beer roll.

Ozark, for Greenland style rolls, the best site is Kayak Ways. They make it look so easy that I wonder why it's taken so long for me to learn how to do it. For C-to-C rolls with a fat paddle, You Tube has a lot of how-to posts on rolling. Don't let the lack of a roll keep you out of a kayak though! Just be sure to learn how to get out and back in.

Jack, c'mon by anytime! Let me know in advance and I'll see that I have some beer brewed up for you.