*Possible* Problem with epoxy order just received. | SouthernPaddler.com

*Possible* Problem with epoxy order just received.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Got to love their speed, I ordered a 3 gallon kit from Raka yesterday morning, it got here the following afternoon. I am close to the source, but still, the next day?

Yep, they're good!

In the box, there is a large, black plastic bag, nestled in a bed of Styrofoam packing. Inside that bag, each jug of liquid is also packed it it's own, individual, clear plastic bag.

One of those bags, is stuck to the jug it contains. It seems the jug is covered with a thin film of hardener. Not a lot, just a thin film covering the jug and inside of the bag.

It could be from a slight over-fill, I suppose. Or more likely, the jug got squeezed some how, and a little managed to squirt out the top.

If I can remember where I put it (for safe keeping, no doubt!) I'd remove the jug from it's bag and wipe it clean with acetone. Then, I'd put that suspect jug in a clean plastic bag (just in case,) and give Raka a call in the morning.

The reason I a little paranoid is that I did loose most of a gallon of resin that somehow leaked out of the jug, while still sitting in the box full of packing. Now that jug had sat there for 5 or more years, so I'm not blaiming anyone but me for that one.

Anyone else ever get an epoxy shipment in and find the outside of any of the plastic jugs all sticky?

I do have a gallon jug of the same kind of hardener that's nearly empty. If I get too nervous about this on leaking, I'll pour it into that older, larger jug. And I will call Raka in the morning, of course.

It does kind of bother me, knowing that I have a half-gallon can of aectone sitting around somewhere, but can't seem to find it. :oops:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL[/b]

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
But Jack, I used to use a Zippo lighter to find leaks in propane gas fittings! :shock: Worked pretty good too. No doubt what fitting needed a little tightening. . .

Anywho, the first place I looked was the shelf next to the gas hot water heater. Good news! It wasn't there! :D

I do recall thinking that I needed to put it somewhere safe, though.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure the box with the epoxy order was left at my front gate, upside down. What I've done is to remove the sticky jug from the bag it was in and wipe the jug clean, using a cotton cloth and some rubbing alcohol. (That's was the best I could come up with on short notice.) It no longer feels sticky.

I've put it in another plastic bag, just in case the jug is actually leaking. It looks like that one has just a finger and a half less content than the other jug of hardener. Not enough of a loss to whine about.

If that jug is still clean in the AM, I'll not worry about it. I'll still tell Raka what happened, so maybe they might want to review their packing methods, or talk to the shipper about their package handling.

That murder trail I was doing the jury duty thing for is over, evidence problems, and will go on again next year. In any event, I'm off the hook now and can get back to business as usual.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Still haven't found that acetone, but I did clean the outside of that sticky jug with a cloth and some rubbing alcohol. Got it "un-sticky", nice and dry. I put it in a clean plastic bag and left it overnight.

This morning, the jug was still clean and dry! :D

I called Raka and told them about it. I was told things like this do happen from time to time, usually it's a result of being mishandled during shipping. And I do recall that when I found the box, I couldn't tell at first who it was from, because it was sitting upside down.

So my "possible problem" turned out to be a non-problem. 8)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL