Posting a product review on Campmor | SouthernPaddler.com

Posting a product review on Campmor

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well folks it has been some fun around here. :lol:

1-30-2112 I placed an order with Campmor after checking there catalog and then there web site about the Thermarest Neo Air X-Lite self-inflating air mattress. 72 inches long , 20 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches thick. Weighs 12 oz and packs the size of a Nalgene water bottle. I specified that I wanted the self inflating one , gave the stock number ( 40055 ) and the sales person agreed with me on the item and what it would do.

Hot Dog , an air mattress that is really light weight , packs nice and small and weighs next to nothing , just the medicine for this old body to lay on when camping in a tent and packing everything in. For some reason the ground seams a lot harder now then it did in the past years.

Well it arrived and I tried it. :p So after two weeks ( 02-14-12 ) I posted a review on Campmors web site. Campmor say's to list the Pros with the Con's when posting a review of the item......I Did. My guess is that Campmor does not want honest reviews on there web site , especially ones that highlight there goof up's. :roll:

Then I called Cascadedesigns who make the Therarest mattresses about it not being self inflating as advertised by campmor.

To regress ..... I left the mattress lay out for two days , it never inflated itself. So I blew it up and left it for a couple of days ,inflated , then deflated it and tried it again to see if it would inflate itself .... NO WAY. This is not a self inflating mattress so I posted that review on Campmor web site.

I explained all the steps I went threw with it and that it was not as advertised on the self inflating aspect like any other thermarest mattress. Guess what they have NOT posted my review as of this date and probably never will so I posted it on here.

Smelling a rat in the woodpile I called Cascadedesigns and ask them about it. You guessed it , they advised that all of the Neo Air mattresses are not self inflating and you have to huff and puff to blow them up.
I asked why did Campmor advertise it as self inflating if that is not the case. They had not heard about the advertisement and as we talked they were sending an e-mail. They did not say to who but it is not hard to guess especially since the guy I was talking with told me he was looking at there ( campmor ) web site.

SHOCK , SURPRISE , Now when you look at the advertisement it does not say self inflating and my review of the mattress still has not been posted. Campmor knows I purchased it ( a conformation by e-mail when I purchased it ) and have not had a word from them about there mistake , it is causing me to lose faith in them or at lease in there advertising. I guess they don't know there are a lot of other places on the web to order gear from.

If you are thinking of one .......
It is light weight , packs nice and small , has to be manually inflated , has a non slippery coating which keeps it from sliding around in the tent , is 2 1/2 inches thick and very comfortable. Plus the way it is designed it has a good insulation factor to help on keeping the camper warm during the night. The last part is really nice since I like to use a quilt over me at night.
Down side is the cost for one but as they say , you get what you pay for , sometimes I guess it depends on the advertising. :roll:

Before you ask.... Yes , I was seriously thinking of sending it back but I wanted a light weight , thick air mattress for the tent and it is one. It is packed right next to the tent.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I've always had Campmor stand behind anything of theirs. What is the cost? Do you get dizzy (dizzier? :roll: ) when you huff and puff to inflate it?

If I listed the cost you might pass out and not from filing the mattress with air. :lol: It is sort of on the expensive side. The lighter the camping item the lighter it makes your wallet.

There is an attachment for the air valve that a person can use. Just attach it to a stuff sack and then the mattress and push the air from the stuff sack into the mattress. It's a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir AirTap Pump Kit and they are $9.95. It lets a person fill the mattress without getting the moisture from there breath inside the mattress. As the folks who make it told me , ideal for someone in cold climates to use. Campmor does not have it but a lot of other camping suppliers list it on there web sites.

Like you , I have never had a problem with campmor before this and I'm sure they would take it back and give me credit for the mattress , I really hate it when someone falsely advertises something even if it was a typo or intentionally done. No one will know which it was. Typo's normally are caught and corrected with a notice posted. Fortunately the item's comfort value outweighs that mistake or action.
The information they had posted for it had been there for quite a while because I have been looking at it and arguing with myself about getting it. The deciding factor was spending the night on a thin mattress while laying there and thinking of that extra height and comfort it would offer.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Some of us are too old to give an air mattress CPR.

Boy you just told a WHOPPER , if anything you better not have one since there would be a good chance of it being overinflated. On the other hand it might be a good choice since it would make a nice hot ( inflated ) bed to sleep on in the colder weather. :lol:

Seriously...... It seams that as time passes and as camping gear gets better , new and improved , there is a regression in it.
I started out , back in the dark ages with , what was , the modern gear for back then , sleeping on a mattress that had to be manually blown up. Cooked the food over a open fire and sleep in a single wall tent but it was made from canvas , not the new synthetic light weight material like we have today. :roll:

No complaints on the mattress , my complaint was that campmor would not allow a review admitting to a mistake and misleading information on there part. Guess the review was to honest for them , I did give the mattress a good review.
There review section for it still has .... Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review. Makes me wounder how many other folks posted a review that was not shown.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
Kayak Jack said:
Some of us are too old to give an air mattress CPR.

Boy you just told a WHOPPER , if anything you better not have one since there would be a good chance of it being overinflated. On the other hand it might be a good choice since it would make a nice hot ( inflated ) bed to sleep on in the colder weather. :lol:<SNIP>
GEE! That was cold; that hurt - deep. I'm crying here. :wink: (sniffling off inta the distance here, wiping my eyes, wiping my nose on a long sleeve - hiccup!)

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
REI has a 100% satisfaction guarantee on every product they sell. They will take anything back, any time, no questions asked. They also have the NeoAir XLite for the same price, except they only offer the regular and large sizes. I became a lifetime customer of theirs when they repaired my Trail Dome tent and overnighted it to me (at their expense) because I had a trip coming up. They went out of thier way to make sure I got my gear in time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My experience with Campmor is that too. The beef here is they made an error, but seem loathe to admit it to Chuckie.
Best to fess up and admit our mistakes. When I made my last one, in 1952, that's what I did. (Thank you, Cap'n Meriwether.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Some of us are too old to give an air mattress CPR. "Annie! Annie! You OK?" "An'na one, an'na two .... Somebody turn on the bubble machine?""

I found something ( the miniature bubble machine :lol: ) that saves on the huffing and puffing for the mattress.

microburst-in-hand.jpg

http://www.camp-tek.com/

At 2.3 ounces (with batteries ) it will inflate the 2 1/2 inch thick mattress in less then 3 minutes , about or faster then an 1 inch thick self inflating mattress. :D