Pre packing for a trip | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pre packing for a trip

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm partial to the First Needs water purifier, Campmor item# 81249. I notice it has increased in price, but dysentery is still free.

They say, "Only purifier certified to EPA Standards (cysts, bacteria and viruses) without using chemicals. Removes pesticides - provides deliciously refreshing water instantly on one pass through. Ecological, actually removes microbes using reliable molecular capture, ultrafine microstraining (to 0.1 microns) and other purification mechanisms. Self-cleaning pre-filter. Mounts directly to trail and bike bottles and dromedary bags. Sealed canister protects users from accumulated cysts. 36" long hose. Backwashable. Includes tote bag and gravity feed kit"

There is a difference, sometimes a large difference, between a water "filter" and a water "purifier". A filter is a really fine sieve or screen. A purifier starts out with a filter, and then adds purification. To stretch life on my element, I wrap the water pickup screen with a paper coffee filter. That catches a lot of solid particulate mater (gunk) before it can plug or mess up the filter.

I've used this in Canada (Lake Mijinemungshing), Michigan (Au sable and Muskegon Rivers), Louisiana (cypress swamps), Florida (Suwannee River), and Texas (Brazos River). I had fresh, clear water in all locations. I haven't had dysentery, diarrhea, or the drizzling $h!t$ in camp. Just one drop of bad water can ruin your whole day - and the trip.