Prime & Paint? | SouthernPaddler.com

Prime & Paint?

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Do you guys prime and paint or just paint?

I just put two coats of primer on the inside. I may put three on the outside. Just wondered what you guys do.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Funbun, I will shoot (no, I take that back. I'd burn alive) any SOB that got near one of my wooden boats with paint.

The beautiful wood grain shows through the epoxy and glass. Varnish to protect from UV (Captain's Spar Varnish). but for god's sake, throw the paint away.

(Only the opinion of an opinionated man.)

(But, he's right!)

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I'm painting. The primer is already on. I'll paint it Tuesday. I'm interested in a solid fishing boat with little maintenance. Paint it is.

Sometimes all wood looks gaudy unless it's a canvas or strip planked boat. No offense but plywoods boats look better painted to me.

Different strokes I guess.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Funbun, I will shoot (no, I take that back. I'd burn alive) any SOB that got near one of my wooden boats with paint.

The beautiful wood grain shows through the epoxy and glass. Varnish to protect from UV (Captain's Spar Varnish). but for god's sake, throw the paint away.

I have to take this opportunity to agree with Jack ,:shock: the wood should be seen to be appreciated , plastic , cement , metals are to be painted since they are eye sores.

Grant you they painted wood boats in years past but they did not have epoxy to seal the wood or fiberglass. Heck all they had were hitching posts and the vehicle of choice was one horsepower. Cities had pooper scooper's as road maintance units. :lol:

The good part is that , not all of us think alike and if paint is what you see in your minds eye then by all means use it. I have seen several good looking boats that were painted. Heck as a kid I had a wood Skip Jack ( hand crafted ) that was painted a dark green and was the best boat I ever had. That was the only color it came in from the Gent who made them.

Chuck.

islandpiper

I painted my last pirogue. The wood was ugly, sheets didn't match at all. This way I can see and touch up any scuffs or scratches when they show up, that's is tough when dealing with varnish as recoating is different than paint and seeing scratches and wear is more difficult, too.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well yeah, but, Piper San - you ain't a skilled wood worker! ;=}}

(For the edification of newer members, Keith Davis aka Piper San, is a skilled craftsman who can start out with a few blocks of wood, and end up with a violin worth several thousand dollars. I've never met a more skilled carver of wood.)

(He is, though, beset with terminal ugliness.)

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Kayak Jack said:
Well yeah, but, Piper San - you ain't a skilled wood worker! ;=}}

I thinks that's the heart of the issue. I'm not a good wood worker either. In fact, this the first project that I've ever done. I'm sure that I'd get better if I were build more, but I'm not a builder type per se.

I guess I'm one of those who builds once and that's it. I built more out of necessity than desire.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Funbun, if you build another wooden boat, and you WILL build another one, do yourself a favor. Actually, several favors.

Take it easy on yourself. My work looks rough as a cob, but the boats are very serviceable and do the job I put before them Yours will too.

Le the natural beauty of your boat shine through. It is remarkable how soul satisfying that deep wood look can be. Varnish it and then admire it. Others will too.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Only my opinion, and I grew up with Dad varnishing natural wood projects, but it never ceases to draw my attention. Looking into wood grain is like looking into a campfire, or watching waves, or watching eagles soar. It's in the genes, deep down somewhere near our beginnings.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Bellybuster said:
so.....considering the fact that my boat is made from scrap plywood and carries absolutely no natural beauty. What was the consensus on prime or not and any suggestions on type of paint?

Finish as you see fit. I used latex for my hunting boats.

You saying that EOD is chancy? I was a battalion ordnance chief for eight + years.

Too Busy

Apr 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I do both depending on three things
1. what is the inteded use
2. how much time am I or my customer willing to devote to keep it pretty
3. base material for the project

My fishing kayak is painted w/ latex on the hull and has a varnished deck. I drag it though mud, over oysters, even across the parking lot if I'm feeling lazy. I can wash it and put on another 25 cents woth of leftover paint and it looks new again

The hull is also built from some fairly ugly pine plywood. i put the nicer face on the inside and varnished that. :wink: