Put the Swamp Girl in the water for the first time today | SouthernPaddler.com

Put the Swamp Girl in the water for the first time today

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Paddled the first time in the retention pond across the street.

I've not done much paddling before but sure looking forward to fishin with her real soon. I built her for the no-motor zone in the Banana River plus ?.

swampgirl007Medium.jpg

swampgirl006Medium.jpg

swampgirl011Medium.jpg

DSCN1383Medium.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gary,

That iz very nice. Looks like yer daughter haz her eye set on one too.
042.gif

regards
bearridge

Wine makes a man more pleased with himself; I do not say that it makes him more pleasing to others. Dr. Samuel Johnson

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Gary

That is one darn good looking boat, you did an outstanding job on her. It will turn some heads when is outside for folks to see her and when it is loaded for fishing. :D

When the rocket launchers have rods in them it is going to be one fishing machine.
Now if you catch anything that will be up to you but I understand in the no motor zone they almost jump in the boat.

Chuck

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

The boat looks better in the pictures than it really is. I'll call it a 10' boat. Looks better and 10' than up close. It's that way on purpose. I could have put forth a little more effort in sanding and so on to make it really nice but I really use my boats and it'll get beat around a bit. I don't like spending to much time in sanding off perfectly good epoxy and then go and get it scratched up anyway. It's one of my fishing boats not a show piece I have to worry about.

The black on the bottom is epoxy and graphite. Ply is 3/16 Okume glassed inside and out with 6 oz fabric.

Bear. It's my wife in the photo. We've been married for about 28 yrs now. Your statement about the daughter did bring a smiler to her face. Thanks.

Jack. Forewards or backwards .... don't think it matters much just got in that way. The 4 holer is move toward the pointy end about 6 inches more than the other one.

Chuck. I'll post some fishing reports when I get to try it out. Maybe we could paddle together sometime for a paddle.

Matt. Ok with me on using the pictures. I'll email what I have and you can use whatever. I'll be happy to give you my thoughts and a review but it will be from an inexperienced paddler. I've use a canoe a few times in my life but not much. As a builder I picked up some tips from Chucks forum. I've built a few S&G boats but all have been power and getting painted. I had to rethink things a little when considering brightwork finish.

Thanks to all for the tips and info.

Later
Gary

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
INEXPERIENCED PADDLER, Anyone who can build a boat that looks like this one needs to be a paddler, pure and simple, no ifs and's or butt's, it is that simple.

Make them, use them and when they are worn out, do it all again. Half of the fun is making them. Then the rest of the fun comes when using them and folks are standing there drooling over your craftsmanship wishing it was theirs.

One paddling trip, actually more then one of them when on the road, folks where looking at the boat I was using at the time and wanted it ........ I told then get on southernpaddler and make one for there enjoyment, it is really easy and a lot of fun. :D

Gary ... I would consider it a pleasure to paddle sometime with you, if you will forgive me for being in a boat that is not as well constructed (made) as yours .... Yours is a work of art , Mine manage to float at the best. :lol:

I am glad that all of us were some help to you in the construction of your Swamp Girl (Dam I am glad Matt and I thought of that design) and hope you have many happy hours paddling and enjoying it.

Now find out how many fish it can hold before sinking....... Stop fishing when the water gets about an inch from the railing. :wink:

Chuck.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldsparkey said:
"but I understand in the no motor zone they almost jump in the boat."

Not true, thats just some rumor that got started and never seems to die off.

Everybody who lives around here knows there are NO FISH IN THE NO MOTOR ZONE :wink: :wink: :wink:

Beauty of a boat, Gary.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DM

Ya are spreading rumors like last years grits ...... Everyone knows there are fish in there for the fisherman.....

They are called ...... Sardines packed in olive oil and to be enjoyed with some crackers (Not Florida natives) the baked crackers ..... OK, so sometimes it is hard to tell which is which....... The edible ones will wilt in the humidity down here........the others want to kick ya butt ........

Best way to put it is .........The Baked (Non Native) crackers are fresher and a lot better with the sardines an some hot sauce. :D

I could go on about Shrimps or crabs down here but it might not be a good idea at this time. :lol:

WHAT...............Ya don't paddle with a can of sardines and some crackers with ya ........ SHAME ON YOU.......... :eek:

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Gary,

Holy smoke! :shock: :shock: :D beautiful job mate.

congratulations on a superb build. i am certain you will be very happy with your 'girl :D

If you dont mind my asking. What were the processes for the inlaid bits on the bottom?

jheger

Nov 28, 2004
Weimar, TX
Gary

Great job on the Swamp Girl, makes me want to do a better job on the one I just started building. My second one and hopefully i have learned from my past mistakes.

James

gpratt

Jan 29, 2004
St. Cloud, FL
Thanks for the nice comments.

Mick, the wood you asked about is not inlay. It's 3/16 ply pieces that are epoxied to the bottom on the inside. I used butt blocks for the ply splices and this made it easy to blend the bottom center one in and add some support for the center area. They are like Chuck used for his except mine are not running length wise.