Questions from a new guy | SouthernPaddler.com

Questions from a new guy

TX_yakker

Sep 23, 2008
So i've read through just about every thread here in the Pirogue and i've still got a few questions. My boat is pretty much together, the bottom is on and should be dry by now so i'm to the point of sanding everything down in preps for the next big step. I saw the thread that mentioned using a flush bit to router the bottom, which i thought was a great idea so i plan to do that in the morning and then sand everything down. Here's my questions:

I started collecting materials this afternoon. I picked up some west system 105 resin, the 206 (slow) hardner (to give myself more time to work with), the little pump kit to mix it in the right portions, a squeegee, some plastic gloves, and a little bit of cloth. Didnt buy the full amount yet because i want to practice on a spare piece of plywood first.

I could NOT find wood flour. They didnt have it at home depot, but i'm going to try Lowes tomorrow. I think i finally understand what a fillet is, though it was never really spelled out anywhere i could find in the posts. I read some stuff over on the JEM forum so it looks easy enough, just take it slow. Is there a kind of wood flour that wont turn out so dark? I need to find some wood flour to do the fillets along the inside seams. I have masking tape to mark off around the seams to make it look nice and neat i suppose.

I'm planning to practice with the epoxy and fiberglass tomorrow to see how that works, and try to find the wood flour to do these fillet things. Can you use the fillet to fill in little gaps and things? Specifically, i've got some not so flush areas around the stem where the side board joins. I was thinking of filling these in with this fillet mix, but i dont know if thats an appropriate use for the stuff.

Once i'm comfortable with the epoxy, i was going to epoxy along the inside seams prior to filleting them (read that in one of the threads). Then fillet them once i can find wood flour to mix with epoxy. Does the wood flour have directions on how much to mix with epoxy to get the right proportions? Again, i read on the JEM forum about mixing it approx to a peanut butter consistency. I guess i can go a little at a time to get there.

After the fillets are done up, i was going to epoxy the whole boat with one coat and let that dry before starting the glassing process. Do i have to sand this coat before starting to actually lay the glass?

Starting the glass process, i've seen some good pictures around here. I figure i'll drape the sheet over the bottom and tape it so it stays in place, then start in the middle with a little at a time and work towards the ends and sides. I plan to use just enough to wet the glass as it seems like the stuff will go clear when it has enough. Roll the bubbles out, spread the epoxy around and then keep my fingers out of it.

I'm not really sure where to go after this. I plan to paint the boat (its going to be a duck boat), so i dont know how many coats of epoxy after the first one i'll need. Dont know if i'm suppose to sand the whole thing after each coat of epoxy or not.

So, i guess its not really all questions, but more of what i plan to do and looking for a yay or nay from the experts out there as to whether i'm on the right track or if i'm missing anything. A lot of great info out there, so hopefully i'll get this glass thing right! Thanks in advance, and glad to be part of this fun new hobby! Last but not least, i'm building in san diego so i have lovely temps it sounds like for working with epoxy outside, not too hot, not too cold!

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
If you have a cabinet or mill work shop near you, you might ask them for some wood flour. Maybe get some of the sawdust out of their dust collection system and sift it to get out the big stuff. I've never tried it, but have read that regular wheat flour will work. Just add a little at a time to the epoxy until it gets to the right consistency. Pine flour doesn't turn out very dark. Since you are making a duck boat and painting it, you wouldn't really need to add more coats of epoxy to fill the weave of the cloth . The rougher texture would give more of a matte finish to your camo. If you wait more than 3 days between coats of epoxy then do sand. It would probably be a good idea to sand between coats anyway. Also if you are painting the color of the fillets shouldn't matter as they will be covered with paint. Yes, you can use the fillet mixture to fill in little gaps. I like to use a foam roller to wet out the cloth, later coats, I put on with a squeegee.
You seem to be on the right track.

Jimmy