Quick Coyote Hunt | SouthernPaddler.com

Quick Coyote Hunt

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I went on a quick varmint hunting trip yesterday afternoon. It was nice and cool, kinda windy but not too bad. I got set up and started calling,about 15 minutes into it a coyote shows up at about 40 yards standing broadside looking at the call. Thinking this would be too easy I set the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed. To my utter amazment that dead coyote ran off. :? So I go look around to make sure I did'nt hit him, I did'nt. By this time it's getting dark so I load up my stuff and head home.
Looking for redemption I left the house at 5:00 this morning. It was perfectly calm and 19 degrees
:p. I get set up again in the same place and start calling. I called for awhile with no luck so I thought I would switch over and call some crows. I get the crow fight rolling with about 50-60 crows circling looking for the sound of the fight. I do this for a couple of minutes and look down towards a creek about 200 yards away and see this guy looking at me over a small bush. I slowly turn to get lined up and all I can in the scope is his neck and head. I set the crosshairs on the tip of his nose and squeeze the trigger. At the sound of the shot he disappears and I am thinking Not Again. So I walk down to look and there he lays. Caught him right below the chin.

coyote005.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK..

Now how about some Coyote recipes. Ya killed him , how are you going to eat him ?

Believe it or Not. We use to go on Crow shoots down here. ( Way back when ) One time each of us had 20 boxes of ammo and shot every shell with a few misses. My Uncle started gathering the dead ones in the water and removed the breast of each one .... like the Dove hunters do.

Some History ........He was a Game Warden in Wisconsin and would kill his meal when out in the woods ..( Prior to WW II Days ).... He said Bob Cat was the most disgusting meat he ever ate , stringy and miserable. :lol:

Believe it or not...... Those breasts were some good eating. What does a Crow eat , Grains and all the rest like a normal bird does ( Ducks , Doves , Pheasants and the rest ) with some carrion ( Meat ) tossed in at times.

Soak the breasts in salt water , dry them and then southern fry them, then smother them in a tomato , pepper and the rest of the spices sauce or gravy.

Never had Coyote but some civilizations think Dog is delicious and since the Coyote is a member of the Canine family. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. Good shot. If anything several of those Coyote hides tanned with the hair left on would make a good rug ( sleeping pad ) in a tent. :D

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
The place I am hunting runs some goats and the coyotes have been a problem. I really like the coyote blanket idea. I am going to research that alittle. Anyone know a good tanner I can send them to?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
good shot darrells i have killed one before but not calling him. looks like you guys have alot of them around here we have lots & more lots of them. they eat alot of your young deer & turkeys .

no offense but i gota laugh with wannabee. my brains got my hide tanned a alot in my younger days from my parents & school teachers. :wink: :cry:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darrells said:
The place I am hunting runs some goats and the coyotes have been a problem. I really like the coyote blanket idea. I am going to research that alittle. Anyone know a good tanner I can send them to?

We have some folks over here that like to reenact the mountain man times. One fellow I know has some of the Coyote Hides , tanned , with the hair on them and they are really nice. He also has other critters hides that he uses for the floor and sleeping area in his Tee Pee.

Chuck.