Quick Duck Hunt | SouthernPaddler.com

Quick Duck Hunt

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have not Duck hunted in several years now. I decided yesterday that I would hit a stock tank down the road from my house and just see what was around. I guess with alot of the tanks being dry from the drought it really has the birds concentrated anywhere there is some water. It took all of thirty minutes to kill a limit and that was passing a bunch of birds trying to make it last a little longer. i think I am hooked again and can't wait for the second season. I am going to hit the Brazos pretty hard come December 10th.

duckhunt005.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Darrell, I've never eaten wild duck. Do you eat just the breast?

When I was in high school a buddy and I shot at some ducks. We were deer hunting, nice sunny, fall day. Snuck up over a little hill, looked down on a pond, and it was wall to wall ducks. We had 12 gauges with 00 buck, 5 rounds each. No duck plug or duck stamp. But hell - we were kids and knew it all. So we emptied all 10 rounds of 00 down into that pond chuck full of ducks. Water erupted 20 feet into the air; it seemed to take 15 or 20 minutes for it to stop cascading back down. Ducks were in the air everywhere. When it all settled down, we looked - and the pond as bare! Where in hell were our dead ducks?
I turned to Dave and says, "You're a lucky man." "WHY? I don't see any ducks."
"That's just it, Dave. You just saw a miracle. All those dead ducks got up and flew away."

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have never eaten a duck that tasted good ,Darrel says he can fix the where I will love them,I will try my buddies food ,he aint steered me wrong yet.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Pluck them , don't skin them.
Before you put them in the oven soak them in a mild salt water mix for a short time. Then put a piece of apple in the cavity when you bake them , that will make the duck sweeter and remove a little of the wild taste but not all of it , after all you are eating wild duck.

I have had them without the apple slice in them and then with a piece of apple in them , it does add a lot to the taste. The part I enjoyed was the skin , it is darn good especially if you rub some Sage on it and baste them with some butter as they cook.
Then when they are done you can make some really good gravy to go over the potatoes , rice or dressing.

My guess is that Mom would add some of the apple slices to them when we had apples to do that with since we had most of them without the apple slices. :wink: Also she would throw the apple slices away we never ate them.

Darn , you are making me hungry for wild duck and bringing back some good memories. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
It's simple - just 15 ingredients and 19 steps: VOILA'!

Peking Duck
1 (4 pound) whole duck, dressed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 orange, sliced in rounds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
5 green onions  
1/2 cup plum jam
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped chutney
Directions
1. Rinse the duck inside and out, and pat dry. Cut off tail and discard. In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, white pepper and cloves. Sprinkle one teaspoon of the mixture into the cavity of the duck. Stir one tablespoon of the soy sauce into the remaining spice mixture and rub evenly over the entire outside of the bird. Cut one of the green onions in half and tuck inside the cavity. Cover and refrigerate the bird for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Place duck breast side up on a rack in a big enough wok or pot and steam for an hour adding a little more water, if necessary, as it evaporates. Lift duck with two large spoons, and drain juices and green onion.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place duck breast side up in a roasting pan and prick skin all over using a fork.
4. Roast for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. While the duck is roasting, mix together the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and honey. After 30 minutes, brush the honey mixture onto the duck and return it to the oven. Turn the heat up to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Roast for 5 minutes, or until the skin is richly browned. Do not allow the skin to char.
5. Prepare the duck sauce by mixing the plum jam with the sugar, vinegar and chutney in a small serving bowl. Chop remaining green onions and place them into a separate bowl. Place whole duck onto a serving platter and garnish with orange slices and fresh parsley. Use plum sauce and onions for dipping.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
good going darrell, i had some at our camp during thanksgiving. my wifes cousing cleans them & puts them italian dressing in a bag then puts them in the freezer. when he cooks them he cuts the breast in small pieces and wraps in bacon and grills it. it is good like this.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
darrel do yal have alot of ducks up your way? we usally have some here but so far this year there sure isn,t many? usally the weather is colder and our river is up that floods the swamps and that is when they show up. i know we dont really live in one of the so callled flyways.