quick lake trip and cookout | SouthernPaddler.com

quick lake trip and cookout

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Beautiful day today. I piddled around the shop a bit for most of the morning. I didn't want to waste a good day, so I grabbed a few groceries and headed out. Got on the water about 10:30 and paddled a couple of miles looking for a high spot to build a cooking fire. Finally found a small shell bank and set about building a little fire with the fire starter stick. The bank is about 30 yards long and 10 ft wide at the widest.

100_0876.jpg

100_0875.jpg

Lunch. 6 T wieners. The 6th T- Tasty.

100_0878.jpg

Ate my lunch and went beach combing. Dang short beach. :mrgreen:

Headed back home. Took a "shortcut" across the lake instead of hugging the shore.
100_0879.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Man you roughed it , No Pickle relish or Onions with the Tube Steaks and Buns then not even staying for a chance of some Moon Light light while camping out in there in the Cypress Hammock with a Sleeping Hammock. :? We call those spots around here Cypress Hammocks , Ya call them Bayous. :?

Sure looked like a good Hammock spot to me , both ways.

100_0876.jpg

What happen ? , Just a day paddle for a few minutes of relaxation.

Chuck.
PS. This photo is that a bait bucket along the bank about half way up ?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Couldn't quite swing a campout this weekend. But getting out there for a couple of hours is better than nothin'. No telling what that can is in the picture. That is the only piece of high ground for a mile around and everthing collects there.

I looked around for two suitable trees for the hammock, but they were either too big around or a bit too far apart. I could have put it up over water, but then you have to deal with getting your boots off as you get in the hammock. I did find a quasi-legal place to put it up on the way back and took a little siesta. :)

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Did Yall Notice,
Instead of steak Joey had hotdogs. :shock: Least that was all we could see. :twisted: Why do you need a grate to cook hotdogs on a stick stuck in the ground. Guess Piper made his point last time. :mrgreen:
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bob, it was kind of a spur of the moment trip so I just grabbed the first thing I found in the freezer. I always throw the grill in the boat if I plan on cooking anything. Pretty handy piece of kit. It did a good job on toasting up those buns.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice trip, Joey. Like Wannabe, I'm surprised you had hot dogs - even with a 6th T. I was expecting to see fresh-caught crawdads, or a robin with a dart through it, or maybe a turtle cooking in its own shell. sigh Hot dogs?

At that, though, you bettered me. I shoveled snow today, so I can fly this week. I'd have eaten even a hot dog rather than shovel snow. And, Buddy - that's going some for me.