Quick trip down Bayou Corne | SouthernPaddler.com

Quick trip down Bayou Corne

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Was a cold and windy 29 degrees this morning. I was feeling better after being sick this week and about 1:30 couldn't stand it anymore. We had a high of 49 degrees so I bundled up and drove the 8 miles to the put in. Passed by this old gent back in the swamp.
oldcypressinswamp.jpg

Pirogue handles skinny water well.
paddledepth.jpg

Pulled up on land for a little look around. Pirogue in it's element.
piroonbank1.jpg

Paddled down the bayou and turned into a narrow slough and followed it to a secluded coullee the locals call Coupe Creu (sp?) which is French for "deep cut".
viewdowncoullee.jpg

Pulled over near some big cypress and had a little coffee break. Seemed like it tasted better than usual.

Joey

coffeebreak.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
The drip caps did good. I might try some a hair longer to delay dumping the water. By modifying my paddling stroke I could almost get all drips to fall outside the boat. Timing of the stroke seems to make a big difference. A nice slow stroke with a slight hesitation at the horizontal before the next stroke seemed to work. Also, a rather quick cadence seemed to work well. My kind of sloppy medium stroke was the worse but still better than the two other prototypes I tried. It probably boils down to using a little longer cup and working on my paddling form.

Joey

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Nice pictures Joey. Good for you for getting outside on this unusually frigid morning. We were bums and stayed nice and warm inside the house all day.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oz, that's closer to 6 or 7 inches deep. She handled the depth well but a full 16' long doesn't go well between the trees and the cypress knees. Almost no rocker doesn't go over logs well either. The old folks knew what worked in the swamp. Short with enough rocker and rounded bows to get over logs and around trees --full ends for carrying capacity.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, let's think about designing the cups to fit your paddling needs rather than adapting your paddling to fit the cup?

Sounds like the cup needs to be a bit longer on the bottom, also on the top? End of cup does not have to me symmetrical. Try another wrap of duct tape added to the end to extend the cup out. When you get the size needed, make a new set from a new milk jug to those dimensions.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yeah, Jack, that's what I was going to try-- adding a little length to the cups. I'm still new to the double ended paddle, so I have to get my own rhythm.

On a different note, I talked to the guy that owns the boat landing before I put in. His brother bought my old canoe and brought it there for the people at the landing owner's cabins to use. He was interested in my pirogue and started talking about the rowing skiff he is having built. None other than our own Keith and Seedtick are going to build it for him. Small world.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey,

Let's also discuss paddling form. My guess is that you, like 99.99% of us, (including me) started out paddling by pumping your elbows and arms. That is an OK method, but will give cramps and tire you out early. Here's a better way, follow me on this.

Your forward stroke should be all from your back muscles, NOT your arms. Try this. Measure your paddle and place a mark at the center of the shaft.

Standing with the double ender in your hands at waist level, grip the paddle with your hands at shoulder width. Have someone mark your paddle where the inside edges of your hands are.

Next, hold the paddle up top shoulder height, arms spread put flat with upper arms straight out to the side, and forearms straight forward & gripping the paddle. have someone mark where the outside edges of your hands are.

On my paddles, I use reflective tape, and place a small triangle, pointing forward, on the top part of the center of the shaft. This is the primary index point. I have narrow strips encircling the shaft at the inside and outside points. These mark the area where your hands will be most of the time, when you are paddling symmetrically. (More on that later.)

When you are sitting in your boat, and are ready to paddle, hold the paddle straight out in front of you, arms locked. Now, take a stroke with the paddle - DON'T UNLOCK THOSE ELBOWS. Dip the paddle in, and twist to that side keeping your shoulders parallel with the paddle shaft. Rotate the paddle to dip the other blade, and rotate your shoulders again. Repeat for about 100'.

This proves to you that you can paddle a boat without bending your elbows. Now, relax your arms and let your elbows bend a bit to a comfortable position. Again lock them, but in this comfortable position, and paddle all day long without bending them. Rotate your shoulders by coiling up your back muscles to one side, then uncoiling to the other. This uses your large back muscles and they can go all day long.

You will probably have to pattern yourself for a few sessions to learn this technique. Paddle slowly and deliberately, using your back muscles, NOT your arms. Soon, it becomes automatic. Only time I use my elbows is for sneaking up on wildlife or picking the paddle straight up out of weeds.

Most of the time, you will be holding the paddle centered evenly. Sometimes, wind or current will push you around. If your boat keeps pulling to, say, the right, stick the paddle out to that side some more so that the stroke on that side has more leverage to correct the off course tendency. You can even stick it ALL the way out so that you are holding the paddle with a blade in one hand and the whole paddle out to one side.

Sometimes, you want the boat to make a sharp turn to, say, the left. Do a bow rudder stroke to the left by tucking the left end up under your left armpit, and dipping the other end into the water beside the left side of your bow. Not out very var. this will use forward momentum to turn the boat.

Another thing to put into this regime is to always keep your elbows below your shoulders. This will help prevent dislocating a shoulder. It's also a lot easier to paddle this way. Some extreme whitewater strokes require elbows high. Flat water doesn't.

Paddling where you do will be a lot easier if your paddle isn't a partially feathered paddle. It will be much more predictable to you for sudden bracing, sculling, turns, windy conditions, etc. Feathered paddles are of only a limited advantage, and several disadvantages.

islandpiper

Joey, one of these days I'll get over your way with my pirogue and check that you are being completely and totally accurate about absolutely everything. We don't stand for any exagerations here, especially where fun and adventure are concerned. Then, one day you should come back with your boat and we'll paddle Bayou Jasmine together or the Yellow Creek. Both are nice day trips.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Sorry Chuck , in spite of what your mamma told you, Duckweed DOES NOT bloom and turn into little ducks....

piper (shifty eyes, and all)

Darn .... NOW YOU TELL ME.
What am I going to do with all the duckweed I have out back. Been fertilizing it with all of the brown , smelly , slippery , stinky run off here on the forum and it is growing like a weed , still no ducks.

The neighbors milk cow sure likes it and I was wishing to get some ducks from it so with the cow's contribution the neighbor and I could have some Quackers with our milk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
islandpiper said:
Sorry Chuck , in spite of what your mamma told you, Duckweed DOES NOT bloom and turn into little ducks....

piper (shifty eyes, and all)
Reminds me of a Boudreaux joke... Something to do with pussywillow, but I wont go there. :oops:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper wouldn't try to put one over on me , would ya Piper?

Bayou Jasmine and Yellow Creek sound good. Let me know when you're free (you said Mondays were better for you) and you can come over or I can go over there.

Jack, I don't worry about a little kidding among buddies. I WOULD worry if nobody cared enough to throw a few jabs.