R&H's very excellent adventure- part two. | SouthernPaddler.com

R&H's very excellent adventure- part two.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Guys,

After Tin Can Bay, we travelled inland to Baroon Pocket Dam in the Sunshine Coast's hinterland. We stayed here,
http://www.secretsonthelake.com.au/

and paddled the magnificent lake for two days.

Along the way, however, we travelled the length of our Mary River Valley, a large portion of which is about to be flooded with teh government's planned new mega damn (pun intended) The country to be flooded is some of the most fertile and productive farming land in Queensland and my blood is boiling over this.

This is some of the land to be flooded.

IMG_0788Small.jpg

Over 960 farming families who have owned and worked this land since it was first settled by Europeans are being forced off their land. All so the developpers can continue to create more urban sprawl in and around bloody Brisbane. They don't have enough water for the people they have now and the parasites now want to steal ours.

Sorry for the rant guys but I am really pissed about this. Not only will it destroy untold acres of great land, it will also destroy the mary down stream. It will never flow again with bloody Brisbane sucking the guts out of this dam.

OK, That is out of my system, here are some piccies of Baroon Pocket

Obi Obi Creek (Named after a fierce Aboriginal warrier)
IMG_0813Small.jpg

Back Arm.

IMG_0874Small.jpg

Morning Tea :D
IMG_0878Small.jpg

View from our verandah :D
IMG_0897Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
A few more piccies of our magnificent accommodation here.

Our Tree House, :D
IMG_0828Small.jpg

Cosy :D
IMG_0844Small.jpg

Coffee Table This is typical of the furnishings throughout.
IMG_0896Small.jpg

Looking in from the verandah
IMG_0901Small.jpg

If ya don't kick a goal here, ya really not trying :D :D
IMG_0796Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

What a place....all of 'em.

It iz sad ta watch the pond scum spread. Ever seen the pichurs of the canyons flooded so folks in Los Angeles kin sprinkle water on the grass 'n run hair dryers? Mother Nature kin be mitey tuff on our little blue planet. Folks who jest dont care do near bout az much harm....mebbe more.

I jest hope I live ta see our big dams come tumblin' down....Hoover first....please.....please Mother. Zap it high up on the Rickter Scale.

regards
bearridge

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago. Gus McCrae

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick - two comments:
1. WTH is that new picture of you have next to your messages? I figured out the baboon (or, maybe it was an orangutan) in the old one; can't figure the new one.

2. You SURE AS HELL know how to show your wife a good time. You have set a new land speed record on how to win a gal's heart. I don't dare let my lady see this, or I'm done for.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Bear and Jack,

Thanks guys,

This was our first real vacation together in 11 years. We are both rotational shift workers and it has been dificult to get the same time off together.

The extent of the timber work and attention to detail at Secrets on the Lake is amazing. Everywhere you look, is either a beautifully carved piece of old growth cedar furniture or wall paneling. Even along the handrails of the walkways leading to the cabins.

It is a family owned and run enterprise and the staff are friendly and discreet and very nice to deal with.

Jack, my other avitar was aboriginal art and was a turtle. This one is a goanna (big lizard) lying back with a glass of wine.

Here are some more piccies of the woodworkings. These are a few of the carvings in the handrails,

Tree Frog

IMG_0913Small.jpg

IMG_0912Small.jpg

IMG_0911Small.jpg

IMG_0906Small.jpg

IMG_0903Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

He may be a doofus the rest of the time, but Al Gore done real good when he come up with the international net. I like all yer pichurs. Some remind me of the dream time. I kinda felt like I wuz in the dream time myownself. Felt like I wuz downunder livin' in a tree house, lookin' at beautiful sites ta see.

Mebbe Miz Bear will take some good pichurs soon? I reckon I oughta tie her out back agin fer a few days. Most a the time that takes the edge off. Lately she dont mind too good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. Gus McCrae

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Mick sounds like you got alittle of my blood in you. :lol:

Looks like south georgia. :) Very nice pics Mick . I know you guys had a great time, I believe i could stay there for a while. :D (cat)

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Mick first our gov flooded out the indians over here , now your,se are flooding out you guys.

That,s bad enough but what really gets under your skin is when you don,t like it & you don,t want to sell . Then they tell you if you don,t sell they gona take it anyway. :x :evil: (cat)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, RE: your avatars. I'm just going to have to take your word for the faux animals. Darned if I can see any of them.

I love that natural wood. It lives; it breathes; it is us.

(Was that a tidal chart whittled into one carving?)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys,

Here are a few more carvings. there are litteraly hundreds of them. All in Red Cedar and most of it old growth. What the owners have done here is something very special.

There are only about a dozen tree houses in the whole retreat and set the way they are ensures complete privacy for the guests.

The tree to the left of Robin in the last piccie of my last post, is a Bunya Pine. Beautiful timber, allmost knot free and straight grained. They were very important (and sacred) to the aborigines of the local area.

They only grew here (within a hundred miles or so) and were important in that the tribes gathered in this area every year for the harvest of their nuts.

I think the trees are now protected and can't be milled anymore. There are very few wild growth, bunyas left.

IMG_0894Small.jpg

IMG_0925Small.jpg

IMG_0687Small.jpg

IMG_0689Small.jpg

IMG_0691Small.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Mick, RE: your avatars. I'm just going to have to take your word for the faux animals. Darned if I can see any of them.

Jack , open your eyes and take a look , it is a lizard laying on its back , the head is at the right side and the tail to the left , one forearm is sticking out and pointing at you while the other has the wine glass.

It is as plain as day.

Chuck.