Race challenge... | SouthernPaddler.com

Race challenge...

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
I'm going fishing with a friend in my UJ pirogue on Wednesday and he's giving me hell about how he will have caught 2 fish before I even make it to the fishing spot. In other words, he thinks my pirogue is going to be slow. He uses a Malibu Kayaks Mini X (about 9ft I think). How do these compare? I accepted the challenge of a race to the fishing spot. I think the pirogue going to surprise him although I really have no idea because I haven't paddled with anyone else yet.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Not sure about the race to the old fishing hole since I am not familure with his boat or either of you guy's paddling skills. Offhand , a kayak is a quick boat but I am judging that on the 17 1/2 footer I have.

You could always tip the odds in your favor , make sure his bow line ( without him knowing it ) is tied off to a tree with a lot of granny knots. Or keep it honest and start fishing while he is paddling. Either by still fishing , casting or trolling. :lol:

Good Luck on the fishing , You do know they call it fishing and not catching fish because sometimes the fish don't cooperate.

Chuck.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work.

JEM

You're in for trouble.

Better take a magazine or hand held video game for something to do while he' trying to keep up. I'd be surprised if you took more than 2 strokes for every 6-8 of his. Seriously.

But savor it and don't say anything prior to going. Just have that nice big cheese-eating grin on your face when taking a break with your feet up while he's wringing out his shirt from all the sweat. :mrgreen:

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I certainly wouldn't tie his boat to a tree. That would be immoral. Particularly where a bet is involved. I am shocked that a former law enforcement officer would suggest such an underhanded technique.

Whatcha wanna do is to tie a small (1 gallon) paint bucket to his stern line with about six feet of rope. The bucket will sink into the water where he can't even see it. Lot's of drag. Cut at least two or three MPH off his speed. Make him tired, too.

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.. So I was trying to help one of the guys on here..... Forget the bucket use an ice chest full of beer , this way both of you can have a good laugh and a cold one or more , when he gets there. :D

By the way if you are taking an ice chest with you , Stop by the fish store ( Or before hand go and catch a few ) then fill it with fish. When at the old fishing hole attach the end of your line to the butt of your rod , crank it nice and tight so the rod is bent and pretend you are pulling them in.

Make sure it is on the opposite side of the boat so he can't really see what you are doing. Splashing the rod tip in the water and rocking the boat are some good visual effects. Ever shouting " This is a whopper" , Look at the size of that sucker" ," Holy Chit" he almost pulled me into the middle of the lake" , always works.Just make sure there is about 50 yards between the two of you and never hold the rod really high unless you are fighting the fish. :wink:

Chuck.
GBinGA ... Out fishing .. Anything goes and is legal even some fabricating of the truth. After all , All fishermen are lairs except for you and me and I'm not so dam sure about you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
The paint can sounds like a good idea! :lol: If he still take the lead I'll get one of my lures with lots of treble hooks and snag him for ride. I'll let you know what happens....

bluegrasslover

Feb 18, 2009
Willow Springs, NC
You guys were right! After about 100 yds he called uncle after I was about 25 yds ahead of him. He couldn't believe how well my homemade UJ pirogue cut through the water.

Heart stopper....on the way home I nearly lost the boat off the back of my truck. The boat was fine but it broke a blade on the (a little nicer than just temporary) temporary paddle I built.

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
bluegrasslover said:
You guys were right! After about 100 yds he called uncle after I was about 25 yds ahead of him. He couldn't believe how well my homemade UJ pirogue cut through the water.

Heart stopper....on the way home I nearly lost the boat off the back of my truck. The boat was fine but it broke a blade on the (a little nicer than just temporary) temporary paddle I built.

Congrats on the victory! :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, Blue grass, I hope you were a gracious winner - and didn't thumb your nose at him as you yelled "NAAHHHNNNY NAh knee NAHHHH nahhhhh!"
That would have not shown kouth or swave. And we here are, above all else, swave gentlemen.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
bluegrasslover said:
Well, he caught more and bigger fish than I did and I would rather catch more and bigger fish than have the faster boat any day.
You should have told us that before ya went. We could have told you where to get one of those old hand cranked telephone magnetos.