Raised Beds | Page 11 | SouthernPaddler.com

Raised Beds

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
The wet cold spring passed me by. Nothing had been done to the beds and tubs, so nothing was planted. I had one bell pepper, one plabano, one tabasco, and my christmas peppers make it through the winter. This will make three years for all the peppers except for the Christmas pepper and this is it's second year. The bottom boards on my other raised bed has given away because of rot so I need to flip it over like I did the other one.I'll probably maintain what I've got (except for the three tomatoes my mother tried to give me and the Wife made me take them. She said that I HAD to at least plant a tomato. And I thought I don't HAVE to water it. I
ve got a lot I want to do this year. Pave a 10x25 pad behind the garage and roof it. 15x35 paving on the east side of the garage with a roof (for cooking and finally, boatbuilding), Paving 30x25 in front of the garage with a carport. Peppers, plumbs, pears, and figs will take up enough of my time.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, Bob, by now I expected to hear tales of you working those beds with either a brace of Clydesdales, or a John Deere D. Do you prefer a spring toothed or a spike toothed drag? A cultipacker? Does your double ganged disk have Timken tapered roller bearings, or oiled maple blocks?

Are you growing any horseradish? Peppermint? Rhubarb? Asparagrass? Sunflowers?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Jack,
It is my sad duty to tell you that I completed taking out the last raised bed today.
If I were to do them over I would have used cedar 2x12s to build the sides out of. They just rotted out but they are not gone. The 2x12s were pretty much rotted so I scavenged quite a bit of punk wood to make firemaking tender out of. It is better than cotton (so some say). I am growing things in plastic syrup feed tubs I get from my rancher friends. I have tomatoes, tabasco, bell, Anaheim peppers, Swiss Chard, rosemary and basil (which I dry), yellow squash and zucchini (which are not doing good at all). Pears, peaches, and plums did not make this year. My four producing fig trees are loaded to the gills. Instead of just bagging them and putting them in the freezer and dealing with them when I get time I am drying then and vacuum packing them to save on freezer space. Besides, My 98 year old Mother dearly loves dried figs. By the way-Mothers Day she broke her hip and had a hip replacement. She is back home by herself and will be off the walker in a couple of weeks. My Dragon Fruit has had about 20 blooms (they only bloom at night and start wilting away when the sun comes up) but has not set any fruit yet.
My Passion Fruit has been putting on flowers but not setting fruit. But I sure did enjoy my raised beds. Jack, I only use the best bearings made out of Lignum Vitae. If it was good enough for submarines, it's good enough for me.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Bob, sorry to hear that the wood went so quickly. But, now that you have so much tinder, I expect to see news reports kf unexplained fires arising in your neck of the woods.

Plasitic tubs now, ehh? What is it about the soil there that it resists growing things (other than weeds) just as it lies? Is your lawn in a raised bed?

Sorry to hesr of your Mom's travails. But, glad to hear of her indomitable spirit! Bless her heart.

I don't believe I've ever had a dried fig, but sounds both tasty and chewy. I've come to appreciate dried fruit more as I've aged. Of course, it will never replace good, dark chocolare. But then - what could?

You must have the only zucchini in the world that isn't doing good! That damned stuff would out produce quack grass and ragweed.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Joey,
They are about 15 inches high and about 22 inches dia. at the top. Slight taper to it. Do not drill holes in the bottom, drill them in the side an inch or so from the bottom. With holes drilled in the bottom stout plants like peppers and such will send roots through the holes in the bottom and into the ground anchoring the tub in place. I know this for a fact. With a good rose type soil in them you do not have to worry about them getting too much water as the soil drains well. In hot weather they will need a little water every day. Watch your plants and they will let you know. If you have any Air Ag. flying services in your area you can get 30 gal. plastic barrels from them to cut in half to plant in. If you do use them Please wash them out well.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Joey,
The size of the plants determines how many you can put in a tub. Peppers will usually be one plant per tub. Mustard greens, swiss chard, ect. can be planted very thick and feed them often.I will not be planting any more mustard greens. A while back I went fishing in an irrigation canal and mustard greens were growing wild on the canal bank. Might be some fat rabbits on that canal bank also.

Jack,
This year the only people that has grown much of a garden either did it in raised beds or tubs. Regular plowed up row crop gardens would not work this year. It has been so wet that you can't get into that type of garden and if you were able to get something planted it would have scalded or died from wet feet. The last of April and the first of May I dug a patch up big enough to put about 20 to 30 okra plants in. I dug it about two foot wide so I do not have to walk in the dug dirt. Before I finished digging it the rain started in earnest. Okra should be planted in May down here and it was too wet. First week of June I started my okra seeds in starter pots instead of putting them in the ground. We finally hit a little dry spell (about five rain free days) and I planted them and they are doing fine. If we haven't gotten 30 in. of rain this year we are not far off it. Some of the ranchers have only been able to one cutting out of some of their hay fields and most have not been able to cut the whole field because of wet spots. Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
OK, temp and moisture are what you're working to modify. I get it now.

Northerly of you, all along the Platte, tney're irrigating. In fact, satellite photos of the areas are series after seies of circular irrigation patterns. Row upon row, column upon column.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
You start running into those in North West Texas, Okla., and Colo. When you see those it means that folks are farming where they should not be farming. There is no natural surface water to use so they pump out of the aquifer to irrigate. Or so some say.
Figs. So far I have put up eight lbs. of dried figs and 17 1/2 lbs of whole figs vacuum packed and in the freezer. I picked 7 lbs. yesterday. I still have one tree that is not ready to pick yet. This morning I picked almost two quart zip lock bags full of Tabasco peppers which will make some fine pepper sauce to wake up a bowl of beans or a plate of greens with.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I've never grown tabasco peppers. One year, I grew "Firecracker" peppers. Small bush, dark eaxy green leaves, bright red little peppers peaking up out of those leaves. I dried and crushed them, and woke up salads and chil with them.

Tell me, how do you doyour tabasco peppers? Vinegar and salt? With some Loooziana mud mixed in?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Put your peppers in whatever container you are going to use and add a clove of garlic now and again. Heat your vinegar (that smells Nasty), add some salt and fill your container with hot vinegar. Let it set for a couple of weeks before using. When the vinegar gets low add some more hot vinegar.
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Whole. By the way. The peppers start off a light green. As they ripen the pepper will turn yellow, then orange, and then red. I wait to pick them when most are red with some orange, yellow, and green. When I like the color mix I strip the plant of peppers. With all the different colors the bottle of pepper sauce is more colorful.
Bob