RE: Dutch Ovens | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

RE: Dutch Ovens

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Usually one good seasoning will do the trick. Just remember ... NO SOAP in it when cleaning it or you will be back to square one and re-seasoning it. The idea is to let the oil from cooking to seep into the iron when it is hot and seal the pores so you have a non stick surface. Which it will do with use.

I have a #10 skillet (along with others ) that was my grandparents and then Mom an Dads and now mine and it is slicker then any Teflon one out there today.

Best thing is hot water and a paper towel , when cleaning it. Or better yet ... some river sand and river water to wash it out with. But that means you have to be camping to do it. :p

Nice thing about them .. the more you use them the better they get. There is no way you can over use one of them , dam things last for hundreds of years , with a little care , very little care. :D

There is a side benefit to them , as you cook with them some of the Iron (very little , microscopic ) gets into the food and gives you the iron the body needs in a natural way. Dam site better then eating some Teflon residue from a modern day frying pan or cooking utensil.

Just one of the ones I take with me on river trips for a smaller crew in place of the Dutch Oven .... It is sitting in the middle of the canoe just behind the seat on the wanigan. A newer version of the chicken fryer , it has a glass top and does justice to a bunch of shrimp and scallops with olive oil and Italian seasonings when out camping. Believe it or not .. it was filled to the top , keep adding them as they cooked ( almost 5 pounds of cleaned shrimp and Scallops) before the gang got to it , after that feeding frenzy ... Nothing. :lol: :D

Dec07%20028.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Coogs,

Lotta good advice on seasoning 'n care here. http://www.lodgemfg.com/

regards
bearridge

I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. James Madison

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
After use, I rinse out mine with hot water, and if stuff is still in there, let it soak a few minutes. A plastic scrubby pad works nice with hot water too. No soap.

Tip it up on edge so it can drain and air dry. After it dries, lightly oil. I use EVOO.