RE: Dutch Ovens | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

RE: Dutch Ovens

islandpiper

My bigger DO is a sort of combination, that is, there is a flat bottom and a steel trivet for it to sit on outdoors, AND a rim around the lid for use with coals. Perfect combination. And, the smaller one will stand on top of the bigger one for multi level cooking. When Alton Brown talks about adding levels of flavor to a recipe i think that is what he means.

piper

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Piper,

I just BET you had some coals cooking away on the lid of that one.

We call them camp ovens.

Coogs, do your self a favour mate. Buy yourself one. A good one with a sort of a dish on top of the lid to hold coals.

Cook only on the edge of the fire and if looking to naturally brown a chicken or roast, throw a handfull of coals on the lid for the last half hour.

I haven't used mine in years but I know where it is and have been playing with the idea of breaking it out again soon. :D

islandpiper

Mick, this one is 11" diameter, so the old charcoal rule is diameter minus 2 on the bottom and diameter plus 2 on the top. That seems to work pretty well for most things I've done. If cooking in the wild with coals from the fire then just don't OVERLOAD it with coals, better to take another 1/2 hour for dinner than to ruin it all.

I know it would be tough for you, but you could carry a camp oven easily in your yak if you just leave 1/2 case of Fosters home. The trouble is, the oven weighs just as much coming back as it did going out.

Piper

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Looks pretty tasty Piper.
416qPHrKkPL_SS500_1.jpg

This is one I have ordered.

islandpiper

coogs, dang! You already ordered it? I meant to give you my home address first. I'd have seasoned it for you and made sure it was working properly. Then, you could have just swung by and we could make something simple, like a pork tenderloin, or pineapple upside down cake, and tapped a couple of beers just for good measure. Oh well.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A home companion to the dutch oven is a crock pot. I like both of them. I'm thawing out a couple pounds of ground turkey to make meatloaf tomorrow morning, and put it in the crock pot, pour V-8 over it, and set fire to it on LOW. Add lots of onions and garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, more garlic, oatmeal, and egg, more onions, and ketchup. May wrap it around a large, dill pickle or sneak in some jalapenos.

Will use cast iron tonight to fry three slabs of pork loin that are now marinating in brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, lots of ginger, lots of ground pepper, and some water to dissolve and spread around.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Will use cast iron tonight to fry three slabs of pork loin that are now marinating in brown sugar, salt, lemon juice, lots of ginger, lots of ground pepper, and some water to dissolve and spread around.

Jack...

Ever try just the Pork by itself , it has a wonderful flavor , the way Mother Nature meant it to be. Could use a little sage on it but just a little.

Dam you are eating brown sugar , lemon juice , ginger and some flavored water.... All those are nice .... but when I have some meat .. I want the meat just the way the cave men had it ... Natural. Browned over a fire or done in the oven , the fat nice and crisp (like some bacon) and the real flavor of the pork.
K.I.S.S. ...... Keep It Simple Stupid. :D

JEZeeeeeeeee , you could use Tofu and never know the difference. Different strokes for different folks but for me you are destroying a good chunk of meat.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
JEZeeeeeeeee , you could use Tofu Chuck.
I assure you......nothing is like tofu!

In my scout leader days....We would put a ham in a Dutch Oven with Yams and a splash of cooking wine. :roll:
Bury the Dutch Oven in some coals and let her cook all afternoon. When scout activities were done for the day, dinner was ready! Scouts loved that meal.

islandpiper

oldyaker, i have worked hard to compile a list of all the things that Scouts WON'T EAT if it is cooked and ready for them when they sit down after a day of activities:

There, that's the list. So, don't make any of that for them.

(I have seen Scouts eat sand, because it was covered in pancake batter, fried and drenched in syrup.)
piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I see what you are saying Piper....and you are right! Kind of like some on this forum whom I have camped with from time to time. I won't mention any names.....but he would eat a dog turd if it was garnished with parsley! :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
I see what you are saying Piper....and you are right! Kind of like some on this forum whom I have camped with from time to time. I won't mention any names.....but he would eat a dog turd if it was garnished with parsley! :roll:

No Way would Jack eat that , he would want lots of onions and garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, more garlic, oatmeal, egg, brown sugar , ginger , horse radish , Tabasco , peppers , mustard , more onions, and ketchup to go with the parsley.
My guess is that it never lets him know what the main ingredient is so he can eat it. :roll:

He reminds me of a person I new , they would make hamburgers for folks at eat In's and leave the meat out , just have the buns , relish , lettuce . pickles , onions and all the rest , even the secret sauce. They said with all the trimmings in there you don't taste the meat so why have it. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Seems to me, the Dutch oven is to cooking as the canoe is to water - each serves as a simple and reliable gateway to many more adventures than you could ever imagine. Learning how to use each one is relatively easy. Mastering either one can take the rest of your Life.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Funny there dont seem ta be a heap a Dutch recipes. I reckon they stay too busy worryin' bout holes the dikes. Reckon Miz Ellen will honeymoon over there? Wonder if their windmills still work? Wonder if Boone Pickens iz kin ta Slim 'n if he haz a Dutch oven? I know he haz some windmills.

Lord I'm sorry I tole that 'n bless all the little pygmies down in San Antonio.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking threw some of the recipes I found one that bearridge could cook. Heck he might even volunteer to wash the dishes. :lol:

Camping Food Recipes , Breakfast in a PAPER BAG

Ingredients ..................
1-2 Strips of Bacon
1-2 Handfuls Frozen Hash Browns
1-2 Eggs

Equipment .................
Lunch Sized Paper Bag
Pointed Stick
Hot Campfire Coals
Fork

Instructions...............
1. Open paper bag and place bacon strips on bottom.
2. Toss in potatoes.
3. Break in egg(s).
4. Close by folding down top of paper bag at least three times but leaving 3"-4" of air space above the food.
5. Insert pointed stick only through the top folded part of the bag.
6. Prop with rocks, or hold bag on the stick about 4"-5" over the hot coals for about 8-10 minutes (careful not to touch the coals or hold over flames or you'll set your breakfast on fire.)
7. When you can't stand the delicious aroma anymore and your nose is making your tummy SCREAM.....
8. Remove from heat and pull out the stick with an oven mitt.
9. Open the bag and fold down the paper. Eat right out of the brown bag.
10. Throw your "dishes" in the fire (but don't forget to save the forks.)

Chuck.