REAL breakfast, the southern way | SouthernPaddler.com

REAL breakfast, the southern way

lpm

Sep 12, 2005
Zachary, LA
I can feel my arteries clogging just looking at the picture. Darn it now my mouth is watering . Guess I'm gonna have to hit the cafeteria here in a second just to stop the stomach from growling.

islandpiper

dwallace.......WE ALL KNEW THAT ALREADY.......took you a while to catch on, buddy. If you cast your own lead AND your hound has a bed on the settin' porch you are more redneck than most of us. Get a NASCAR hat and you are in.

"Hey y'all, this here's Dave!"
Piper

dawallace45

Piper

Well I've been casting my own bullets and sinkers for 20+ years and my dog has a bed on the front and back veranda so she can change her view as she wants ,

I pour chilli con carne on my bacon and eggs , I put Tabasco on every thing except ice-cream and cereal ,

All my vehicles have either been traybacks or 4x4's

I've got reloading gear for about 20 calibres ,

I have to go to the gun safe and count them if some one asks how many guns I have , except for the new lines of short magnums it's been a long time since some one asked me about a rifle or pistol calibre I haven't owned ,

I got a small fridge on the veranda and one in the shed so I don't have to go far for a cool adult beverage ,

I have a bigger kitchen out side than I do inside , once my shed extension is finished it will be almost as big as the inside of the house ,

Last time a mate from Brisbane come up he looked around and said " Bloody hell it's redneck heaven " , I've been called a redneck for about 30 years but figured as the only teeth I have missing were three chewing teeth at the back and I don't chew tobacco I didn't totally qualify , but I've been convinced

David

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chicken Fried Bacon W/Cream Gravy
Ingredients
Fried Bacon
1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (or cream or half & half)
1/2 cup flour
spices (optional)
oil (for frying)
Cream Gravy
3 tablespoons dripping or butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper
Directions
1Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat.
2Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
3Place flour in another bowl - season it if you'd like (garlic, pepper, salt, lemon, cajun, etc.).
4Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.
5Fry in oil until golden brown.
6Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak.
7To make cream gravy:.
8Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat & whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I jest showed islandpiper's pichur ta Miz Bear 'n read oldyaker's recipe. She sez her grandma ate most of her food cooked in lard 'n fer the last ten years of her life she ate two Twinkies fer supper. She wuz born in 1899 'n died in 1992. One of my grandmas ate spaghetti, ice cream, candy 'n drank wine in the evenin'. She wuz born before the century turned 'n died in the 90's too. I recall her 90th birthday when she wanted a band like W.C. Handy ta play. Best they did wuz hire Son Thomas. http://wapurl.co.uk/?NDFOLK8

I went ta a New Year Eve party in Shinola (halfway tween Shaw 'n Indianola) where Son wuz gwine ta play. He didnt show. Someone called, but he wuz in the local hospital with a bullet in hiz buttock (like Forrest). It wuz a .38 bullet. Hiz wife got mad when she heard bout him messin' with anuther woman 'n shot him. I reckon he made a new song bout bein' shot in the ass fer love. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The life of the bluesmen aint ever been eazy.

regards
bearridge
the arthritics

ps My hometown blues society. http://www.rosedaleblues.com/

I gave you a brand new Ford
But you said: I want a Cadillac
I bought you a ten dollar dinner
and you said: thanks for the snack
I let you live in my pent house
You said it just a shack
I gave seven children
And now you wanna give them back
Riley B. King

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
My father owns these two busts made by Son Thomas. I figure that one 'o them blues museums would like to have them, but he aint selling. The woman has real hair and the man's hair iz cotton. My father bought them from Son in Leland.

sonthomasheads1.jpg

"Beef steak when I'm hungry
Whisky when I'm dry
A good looking woman while I'm living
and heaven when I die."
from Beef Steak Blues by James ' Son' Thomas