Recent Pirogues | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Recent Pirogues

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
yes but it's not a gentle slope that starts essentially at the middle and slopes to each end

rather it starts a foot or so from each end and slopes toward the ends

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick
Strip mash pirogue:
Do you have any pictures of the side panels being laid out? My strips were ran parallel to the bottom. I saw yours being built, but now I can't picture how it looked. I'm trying to figure how it would translate to building on a form.
Would the first strip (top edge of the side) follow the contour of the top of the side, or would strips be added at each end to make the hump?
I did not put a hump because I wanted to keep the sides low to reduce wind signiture, but I like the eye apeal of some swell.

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The first strip followed the contour of the bottom of the side. To build a rectangular panel then cut out the profile of the side would be a waste of the wood. Also following the contour of the bottom let the boat float with the strips essentially parallel to the water, so it didn't have a "hogged" look

DSC05519-1.jpg

after making the panel, I attached the bottom chine - just like the way we build with plywood

Here's a shot of a side with the bottom chine attached sitting on top of a similar marsh plank pirogue

DSC05836-1.jpg

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks seedtick.
I did mine on a form, but they follow the shape of the bottom edge of the sides, like yours. To add a "humpback" or swell more strips would be added to each end of the top edge of the side and then shaped as desired.The picture cleared that up for me.
Could a side panel be built on the table with out nail or staple holes. How much do the strips try to raise (bend) off the table? Wouldn't bead and cove help lock them down, if the first strip was clamped in place?
Probably hasn't been tried. I see a practice build in the future.

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The first strip was bent around a series of nails .to hold the curvature. The strip was nailed at each end, outside of the length needed for the side. The second strip was bent around the first strip. Notice the quart cans in the first photo, that's old varnish cans filled with lead (~25lb each). I'd glue up about 4 strips at a time, bend them around the first strip, put a 2X4 with a lead can on top to keep them from flexing up, put clamps between the lead cans to keep them tight and, finally, put a nail in each strip at the end, outside of the length needed for the side.

It was a fairly slow process and would have gone faster had I nailed or stapled the strips down, but I didn't want the holes.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Probably not much more work, or time to do it on stations. I have stations, you have patterns. It takes time either way. Thanks for the information on how you did it.
beekeeper