Recipes - Exact Science? or Jumping Off Point? | SouthernPaddler.com

Recipes - Exact Science? or Jumping Off Point?

Do you follow the directions?

• 1. Almost always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Sometimes

• 3. Not much

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I have to admit, that whenever I read a recipe, there are other thoughts darting around in my mind.
"How can I do this a bit smaller (or, larger)?"
"Can I dehydrate this for camp?"
"Wouldn't it be better with more onions (garlic, oregano, basil, cumin, etc.)?
"Would it be better with brown rice (lentils, chick peas)?"
"Could I substitute chicken (beaf, pork)?"
"Can I do this in a cast iron Dutch oven on a campfire (Coleman single burner campstove)?"

And so on, and so on. When I was a little kid, I NEVER once built anything according to directions with my Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, or Erector Sets. I always "modified" it to make it better. Socrates (I think) advises us to use "Moderation in everything."

Well, I say "Modification in everything." So, like Chuckie driving Matt to distraction by modifying the Swamp Girl, I do the same tactics - with everything from boats to beans.

Pirogue

I usually make little adjustments here and there. Often sucsessfully, many times...

Me: "Honey, where do you want to go to dinner tonight?"
Wife: "What happened to the roast, chicken, chops, etc..."
Me: "I don't know, it just smelled funny" (That one works all the time :wink: )

Now, my better half follows the recipes like it was a science experiment.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Good Cooking is nothing more then taste and imagination.

If there is a recipe for something that you cook it and like it then stay with it but if not then adjust it to your taste, after all you are the one eating it.

Nothing is written in stone as far as cooking, if it was we would be eating some bland stuff, it is your imagination and good taste that makes it better.

Any way for me...... I like to go for the GUSTO while I can. :lol: but forget the scotch unless I have no idea of what I am drinking. :?

"O"ps...... Excluding Swampys coffee that would revive the dead, but quite good in the morning..... Has a lot to say about who goes camping with us ............. RIGHT. :roll:

Chuck......

A

Anonymous

oldsparkey said:
Any way for me...... I like to go for the GUSTO while I can. :lol: but forget the scotch unless I have no idea of what I am drinking. Chuck......

Never cook sausage w/ Bourbon :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
When I was a little kid, I NEVER once built anything according to directions with my Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, or Erector Sets. I always "modified" it to make it better. Socrates (I think) advises us to use "Moderation in everything."

Well, I say "Modification in everything." So, like Chuckie driving Matt to distraction by modifying the Swamp Girl, I do the same tactics - with everything from boats to beans.

Jack.....

Just like you I have followed a different drummer, if it is building a boat and driving Matt nut's with the modifications or something more important ... like my supper.

I want it my way since I am the one enjoying it and have been doing it to long to change, besides why should I ....... it has worked for the last millennium (or longer) so I will just go with the flow and that ain't bad for someone who is only 39.

Then there are the good folks that go camping with me and have me cook for them, can't figure it out but then they want to go back out, again, and have me do the cooking, got to be doing something right either that or they just enjoy the use of the commodores comfort chair (With the Daly duty paper) on those camping trips.

Thinking about it on the years thing ......We do only count Leap Years , right , and the ones when we have gritz don't count but actually ad to it ....... Man that makes me - 49 if you are counting. :D :D :D Keep those gritz coming.....We will out live them Yankees :D

Chuckles