Red Rice... | SouthernPaddler.com

Red Rice...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Red Rice, Savannah Red Rice or sometimes called Low Country Red Rice...

The Mizzus is goin' over the list for our Christmas eve gathering and dinner when all the kids is home. We first had this when we first started going to Savannah over 20 years ago and liked it so much we started making it at home after we got the recipe from the Pirates House cookbook. Wanted to share it with all the rice lovers out there.

Savannah Red Rice
4 slices of bacon
1 chopped medium onion
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 small bell pepper, chopped
2 cups raw rice, rinsed well
1 (1 lb.) can tomato, drained and chopped(save juice)
1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
Tobasco to taste, (dish should be slightly spicy)

Fry bacon in heavy pot or dutch oven until crisp. Remove. Saute' onions, celery and bell pepper in bacon grease until onions are translucent. Crumble bacon; return to pot. Add rice; stir to coat with grease. Add tomatos. Measure saved tomato juice and tomato sauce; add water to make 2 1/2 cups of liquid total. Pour over rice and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Immediately lower heat until barely simmering, cover pot, let it simmer slow for 20 minutes. DO NOT OPEN POT TO PEEK! After 20 minutes, fluff with fork and serve.

Every one in the family likes rice, so this is a popular dish.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hmmmm.....

Kayakus Jackus Munchus....
Wat I wants ta know is.....who be dis Jarvis fella dat be eat'n all of ours vittles? And whoooo da hell be invit'n hiz a$$ all da time?

Like the chicken boullion idea....will try our Watkins chicken boullion, less salt in it. Thankus Jackus for the brainstormius! :wink:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Hmmmm.....

Oldus Yakerus asks: (SNIP) Wat I wants ta know is.....who be dis Jarvis fella dat be eat'n all of ours vittles? And whoooo da hell be invit'n hiz a$$ all da time? (SNIP)

Jim, when my Dad was a kid, the thresher gangs would move from farm to farm threshing wheat using the steam engines and threshing machines. This was in an age when the original horse-drawn, McCormick binding machines and horse-drawn hay loaders were still out there. Not nothin nor nobody could eat like a thresher.

One of the local threshers always asked the farmers' wives to serve hot corn bread with a cup of warm maple syrup. He'd take a slice of corn bread and dip it into the syrup, and take a big bite. Always - after that first bite - he'd proclaim "JAAARRR-VIS good eatin'!"

Dad never did find out who Jarvis was. But - whoever he was - he evidently sure taught this guy how to appreciate good, honest food.

The lesson got passed on.

A

Anonymous

Re: Hmmmm.....

Kayak Jack said:
Jim, when my Dad was a kid, the thresher gangs would move from farm to farm threshing wheat using the steam engines and threshing machines. This was in an age when the original horse-drawn, McCormick binding machines and horse-drawn hay loaders were still out there. Not nothin nor nobody could eat like a thresher.

One of the local threshers always asked the farmers' wives to serve hot corn bread with a cup of warm maple syrup. He'd take a slice of corn bread and dip it into the syrup, and take a big bite. Always - after that first bite - he'd proclaim "JAAARRR-VIS good eatin'!"

Dad never did find out who Jarvis was. But - whoever he was - he evidently sure taught this guy how to appreciate good, honest food.

The lesson got passed on.

Maybe, Javis was a good friend of Johnie Deere

i1758.jpg

Johnie seems like he was always making some gadget for farming.

regards,

David