Reelfoot Lake and Natchez Trace with link to pics | SouthernPaddler.com

Reelfoot Lake and Natchez Trace with link to pics

Scooter

Just got back from Reelfoot Lake State Park in northwestern TN. The highlight of the trip was the Grassy Island area (pic below), which is part of a National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoyed paddling amongst the lilly pads and cypress trees. It was windy in open water, yet once I'd paddled into a forest of cypress it was calm and relaxing and green. Was able to put the pirogue in the smallest, densest areas and there was no problem with skeeters or bugs or snakes or anything.

Boat was made for areas like that and I could see why. Aim the bow between two trees and paddle. The shape of the pirogue nudges you back on course if your aim is off and you brush into a tree. Was like threading a needle, only easier.

Some places were so shallow you'd hit ground with your paddle. Mostly, it was deeper with an average lake depth of 5.2 feet. That includes the big open areas.

This morning on the drive back, I decided to have a quick look at Natchez Trace State Park since it's right on I-40. Maple Creek Lake was more beautiful than I remembered from a previous visit, the sky was blue, the air dead calm. Couldn't resist putting in, and before I knew it, I’d spent a couple more hours on the water.

The folding wood chair adds immeasurably to paddler comfort. Makes all the diff in the world. Also easier to use a kayak paddle without bumping the gunnels. Sure makes the boat tippier though! If I'd used that chair first time out I would've certainly fallen in. My guess is, it makes the pirogue similar to sitting on the floor of a narrow kayak. Definitely takes some getting used to.

Took around 100 pics and it was sure tough deciding which ones to post. If ya wanna see some good hi-res ones, check the webpage I made up for ‘em: http://www.truckwithaheart.com/water.htm
grassyisland.JPG

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Some great pictures and the ones of the Cypress trees , looks like a part of the Okefenokee Swamp (when there is water in it). Also looks like that lake would have a ton of fish in it , some really fishy looking water.

The picture of your pirogue , it looks like it is sitting on top of something in the water , very little of the boat is getting wet.

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Nice pics & nice looking coutry scooter. I believe I or anyone could enjoy that kind of water . Thanks for sharing. (cat)