Reelfoot Lake Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Reelfoot Lake Boat

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
ObionRiverRat said:
Anyone here ever seen these boats. They are basically a pirouge with an engine. Any thoughts...
http://www.reelfoot.com/lake_boats_1.htm

Never seen anything like it. Oar system is pretty unique. Boat looks pretty functional. Wonder how much it weighs without motor or oar system. "Necessity is the mother of invention." I figure they had a special boat need for that lake and they found it in this boat.
However, what is functional for Reelfoot Lake may not work well at many other bodys of water. I guess since this boat would fit your needs since you live so close to Reelfoot. Did you get your pirogue kit yet?

ObionRiverRat

Aug 9, 2007
Obion TN
Yea they are pretty neat but there aint may of them any more. They work really well though because the lake is full of cypress stumps, the old lake boat will just slip over them. Just no reverse. That was the first boat I ever drove.

If I ever master this boat buildin I might try to make one. I have never seen one finished like yall are finishing the pirouges. I would be pretty neat.

I still havent got my kit yet. Said they shipped id the Aug 7. I have all my stuff from Raka. I have my sides cut and scarffed. Im tryin to be patient but i really want to get done with my boat - got a trip planned for Sept 1. Think its do able?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
WOW! September 1 :shock: You better think nothing but boat building for the next couple of weeks. Waiting for the epoxy to cure is the painful part if your in a hurry. If your trip is on Reelfoot, be sure and finish the bottom with graphite to slide over those stumps easier. I hope your kit gets to you by monday so you can hit it! Sounds like you have a jump with the sides done. Very ambitious but can be done. Focus on what you want when your done. A piece of furniture or a usable functional boat. I kind of was a mentor for a young man builing a pirogue early this summer. He was in a hurry to get on the water so we had to take some shortcuts. He wasn't overly pleased with the finish because it didn't look like furniture. All that concern disapeared when he got in the thing and was paddling his favorite lake. His smile almost broke his jaws. It took him about 40 hours or less I would guess over about a 6 week period.

ronboy

Aug 7, 2008
silsbee, tx
ObionRiverRat said:
Anyone here ever seen these boats. They are basically a pirouge with an engine. Any thoughts...

http://www.reelfoot.com/lake_boats_1.htm

I'm wondering if you ever found any info on the reelfoot lake boat. I'm looking for a boat or plans to build my own. I rented boats a couple times at reelfoot 30 years ago. I'm now in S.E. Texas and a reelfoot boat would be very handy in these tree and log jammed rivers and streams.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
nine ribs make it a very sturdy little boat, but it looks a bit wider than a typical pirogue

Around here it would be considered similar to a lumberman or a timberman's pirogue. They had to build them stout so they could use them in logging operations and not worry too much about bouncng off stumps or falling treetops.

Here's one in cypress - naturally :D

oct72006012.jpg

ronboy

Aug 7, 2008
silsbee, tx
Jimmy W said:
I ran across this ad for one for sale a while back. It is 17.5 feet long with a beam of 6 feet.
http://www.boatsville.com/used_boats_detail.cfm?boatid=5832

I also saw that ad and I emailed several times, no answer. I finally called the number and reached what turned out to be his (Ray Nabor's) former work place and was told that that boat was for sale four or five years ago and that the owner of the boat had been gone now for a couple years. This was about two months ago. I would love to find one of those boats for sale or plans on how to build one.

I also learned that the man who built these boats (Dale Calhoun) had recently passed away and his boat shop was now closed. And that although he had two sons, neither of them were likely to continue the century old family tradition of building Reelfoot Lake boats.

Aug 20, 2008
west central IL
My reelfoot lake boat.

I finally signed up and have 7 pictures on Webshots. Untill I find how to show them here, they can be seen by searching the Webshots site for [ My Reelfoot Lake Boat] There are only 7 images there. Will discuss how to show them on the web with one of my sons tonight. Ole Mike

Aug 20, 2008
west central IL
Details

The Reelfoot Lake Boat ( often called the stumpjumper) that I have is 17 1/2 foot, powered by an 8hp inboard Honda or unique bow facing oars. It rips through the water at a blinding 13 to 15 mph top end. lol It is more stable than a jon boat of same length. Is layed up in cypress and overlayed w, glass. There is not a hint of flex in it. I've had it in some pretty good wind waves without any problems at all. Mike

reelfootlakefan

Feb 8, 2009
Re:

ronboy said:
I also learned that the man who built these boats (Dale Calhoun) had recently passed away and his boat shop was now closed. And that although he had two sons, neither of them were likely to continue the century old family tradition of building Reelfoot Lake boats.

I have one of Dale's boats in my boat room. I bought it from an individual through a boatville ad. My dad always wanted one of these and Dale wasn't taking any more orders due to his sickness. Luckily I found one.

For those who are interested,,, Dale's son found someone to make the cast oar systems. If anyone is interested, you need to get in touch with the son. He IS trying to makes boats but he's slow compared to his father. So if you want one show your support and place an order to keep the tradition going. These boats are really REALLY cool.