Registration in Louisiana? | SouthernPaddler.com

Registration in Louisiana?

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
I can't seem to get a strait answer but does anyone know if ya have to Register a Pirogue in Louisiana? Called Department of Wildlife n' Fisherys and a lady told me i'd have to have my pirogue INSPECTED, TITLED, AND REGISTERED but have had several tell me ya didn't have to as long as it doesn't have any kind of Motor on it. Thanks...Charlie

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Only thing I could find for Louisiana on the computer is the same as the Florida regulations that I have to go by. If a motor of any type is on the boat then it has to be registered.

Here is what they had listed..............................
BOAT REGISTRATION:
All boats with motors, including electric trolling motors, operating on the waters of the state, must be registered and numbered. Boat registration applications are available from most boat dealerships, and on the LDWF web site, from any of the Wildlife and Fisheries District Offices or from Wildlife and Fisheries, Boat Registration, P.O. Box 14796, Baton Rouge, LA 70898, phone number 225-765-2898.

After completing the application, mail it with your check or money order to the above address and allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing.

Upon receipt of your application and all other required documentation, the Department will issue you a certificate of registration, stating the number assigned to the boat, two decals, and an expiration date of three years from the date of issuance.

Your boat registration certificate must be on board the vessel at all times. Keep it in some type of waterproof container in a safe place where it can be readily found by the owner.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Personally I would locate a Game Warden and ask them since they are the ones that would enforce the law about that. Florida has tried to make it so a person has to register a boat powered with only paddles to be registered but everytime it is shot down , some states have made it a law that any boat has to be registered.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
From the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries:

BOAT REGISTRATION:
All boats with motors, including electric trolling motors, operating on the waters of the state, must be registered and numbered.
Read all about it HERE

It appears to me no motor, no registration required.

Mike

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
I think i'd go with no Registration. Seems like that's the concensus. I don't ever remember seeing any Letters or Numbers on a Pirogue anywhere over the years. I live bout 2 miles from Toledo Bend Reservoir and i see Game Wardens in town (Zwolle) pretty regular. Probably be a good idea to ask one of em' bout it anyways though after reading that stuff on the Fish and Games Website i don't i'll need ta register it. The Lady i taked to was probably your' typical Bureaucrat that believes, "don't worry bout the mules just load the wagon", or in this case send me your' $82! Anyways, Thanks Fellas!
Will be posting some pictures of my handywork soon! I'm taking my time on the Boat; i'm a stickler for details. Thanks again...Charlie

bsmit24

Apr 16, 2012
Baton Rouge
As mentioned above registration is only needed if you plan to use a motor on it. I have not registered a pirogue but I have registered a small homebuilt skiff and you will need to show receipts for the materials as part of the process.

Beesboy

Sep 2, 2010
bsmit24 is correct. No motor=no registration required. Must register it if any type of motor is used on it. If it is homemade, will need to fill out paperwork and bring it by a LDWF office for an inspection and also need copies of receipts if choose to register it. I work for Wildlife and Fisheries, but not in the enforcement division. If you have further questions call the Buraton Rouge LDWF office at 225-765-2800 and ask for the boat registration section or call your local district LDWF office.