Renewal & Rejuvinating | SouthernPaddler.com

Renewal & Rejuvinating

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sitting here today, on a day of renewal and rejuvenating, thinking of time, mortality, and rum. I've been renewing contacts with old buddies, and cultivating new ones. We perpetuate ourselves in many ways; two that are common is to breed offspring, and to cultivate and develop replacements.

I'm not likely to have any more progeny (world already seems to have a lot of handsome, dapper fellows anyway), so I've been cultivating replacements. New guys coming into our Lodge, and I work with most of them to help get them oriented within the group, and help them develop themselves in paths they may choose. It's damned heartening to watch them grow and bloom, becoming much more than they would have if left alone. They are taking on authority and responsibilities, learning and applying leadership, making new friends and taking up some of our best traditions.

Some, today, are working on renewing within themselves and within their Universe. That's a good thing to be doing.

I hope you all are enjoying a holiday, and yourselves.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Kayak Jack said:
I hope you all are enjoying a holiday, and yourselves.

Same to you, Jack, and to all my other friends here on the forum.

May peace be with all of you and your families.

GBinGA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Sitting here today, on a day of renewal and rejuvenating, thinking of time, mortality, and rum. I've been renewing contacts with old buddies, and cultivating new ones. We perpetuate ourselves in many ways; two that are common is to breed offspring, and to cultivate and develop replacements.

That describes what we do on here with sawdust , wood , epoxy and fiberglass with the new generation who thinks that everything has to be plugged in to operate. Then they are introduced or reintroduced to the great outdoors and self confidence of making something on there own.

When I say the new generation I am referring to the folks of any age who have never attempted to make there own boats and always thought boats were made from plastic.

To keep the stress level down we do point out there are items that can be used that still have to be plugged in such as sanders , saws , fish finders , trolling motors and other stuff , even computers , to slow the transition away from them for short periods of times.
I haven't heard of anyone using one of the plug in coolers but I bet someone has one or has tried one. :roll:

Bypassing all of the social organizations out there some folks feel they have a need for I believe ours is better since it builds self confidence , offers enjoyment for anyone , relieves stress and a person has the ability of thinking on there own or asking questions when needed and receiving answers from some great people. Plus we don't charge any dues or fees. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
All members - MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW

I agree with Chuck. (Took him long enough to get something [ANYTHING] right) :roll: (That's a gotcha - watch the incoming return onto my position.)

Making something yourself (whether "home" made, "hand" made", or "custom" made) helps to build both knowledge and skills. An, "I can do that!" feeling of both pride and self-confidence.

I have no research to back up this proposition, but it seems intuitively appealing to say that, the more self-confidence a person has, the better s/her is going to be able to handle Life's situations. People with low self- esteem, weak self-concept, and low self-confidence will react to, and behave in, ALL situations differently than others who are more self assured. A weak supervisor will be all over your ar$e; a weak worker will whine and make excuses; an unconfident person will shy away from many circumstances where others perform and shine. Etc. Learning how to do new activities, gain new skills and more knowledge, provides strong reasons for increased self-confidence. And - this part is backed up by research - it stays off dementia and Alzheimer's.

To say nothing of the fun and enjoyment involved. Geezerdom can be a helluva good time.

Again, I have no valid reason to make the statement, just my intuition. Others may not agree. (They, of course, would be wrong to do so. :lol: )

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
all that mutual agreement aside, here's to the next generation of cajun paddlers

easter057.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Those are sure cute Grandbabies. Any Grandpa would be just grinning all over to hold those sweeties.

Jimmy - me cheat??!! I brag about my 8 year old granddaughter all the time so that goes beyond cheating. She, by the way, is the person who invented ice cream!