Repairing Dry Rot in the Wood | SouthernPaddler.com

Repairing Dry Rot in the Wood

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Tom at Buzzard Roost sent this to me about repairing Dry Rot in the wood.

Chuck.

Had to take a break to put a 2nd coat of varnish on the center thwart from my old Old Town Camper. It had gotten dryrot on one end and I had
to do something about it. It occurred to me while varnishing that
perhaps some were unfamiliar with the West System technique for stopping and correcting dryrot, so here is what I did a few weeks ago:

Took the thwart out of the boat and brushed it with a handheld
brass-bristled brush to remove loose, powdery rot. I then mixed up a
small batch of epoxy and thinned it about a third with acetone, enough
to reach a thin, watery consistency. I stood the end with the dryrot in
the epoxy/acetone mix for several hours so it could absorb as much of
the mix as feasible. Then just as the mix was starting to 'go off' I
removed the thwart and hung it up to drip off excess and set up well.
The dryrotted area that was soft and weak is now as hard and strong
as the day I got it. So I sanded it down

last night and put on a coat of a new varnish I'm trying, a floor grade
water-based polyurethane. Just steel-wooled it and put on the 2nd coat.
Oughta outlast me now.

Guess I shoulda put this on Sparkeys Forum but didn't think of it 'til
just now. So Sparkey if you think it's of any value you're welcome to
transfer it as far as I'm concerned.

I 'spect most people already are aware of the technique but it could be
the salvation of someones' old heirloom wood & canvas canoe if they're
ignorant of it. OF

Joe F .. Suggested this...................
Tom, there is another product that is made specifically for such applications, Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. I buy it locally from a wholesale marine paint supplier, but is available online from http://www.jamestowndistributors.com and others. In addition to marine applications it is used in architectural restoration/preservation projects. You can look it up on Google to get the details.
jf

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We are painting the house and in doing so we located some dry rot in the lower corner of a gable , it is about 2 x 3 inches. I can't see replacing the boards (2x6's) and tearing up a part of the roof (which is in good shape) to do it so I am cheating.

Going to try Joe's method of repairing dry rot with some epoxy designed for that specific job. Since it works on sea going sail boats , why not a land locked house.

http://shrinkster.com/q9r

Who said that building woods boats and using epoxy is just for boats , I am branching out on the use of epoxies. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
I did this with some thinned RAKA epoxy on a rotting window sill and I repaired a door frame that had some rot on it.

Epoxy is some mighty handy stuff to have around.

I was going to do that and make a good runny (watery) mix by adding acetone to it. Then I could see the Southwest corner of the house going up in flames when someone stopped by and lite up a smoke. This would not be a good thing since that is where the wifes bedroom is and if that corner of the house burned then she might be camping with me ....... There would go any form of rest , not even thinking about any piece and quiet.

Nope , I don't want to sleep in the camper (Or the shop) , in this hot weather , to get some rest , so it is playing it safe for me and trying there epoxy without the acetone as a thinner.

It is just to nice having your own bedroom to hibernate in ( No TV , Radio or any of that junk , just piece and quiet ) and I sure don't want to change things at this late date.

Chuck.
PS. Not that I am set in my ways , no sir not me. :roll: That room is my escape from this nutty world and a jabbering female ( wife ).