Request for Chicken Noodle Soup recipe | SouthernPaddler.com

Request for Chicken Noodle Soup recipe

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I use the chicken parts with the skin and bones, put them in a pot and add a diced up onion, salt & pepper (to your liking) .

Let it simmer till the meat starts to fall off the bone, then bone the chicken out and add it back to the stock.

Now add some carrots and celery diced up with some chopped garlic. Let this sit and cook together till the veggies get to where you like them, still just simmering.

Now cook a pot of noodles and when about 3/4 of the way done, take them off the heat, drain them and add them to the main pot.
The noodles will continue to cook and soak up the liquid so you will have a thick chicken soup, not like the stuff that comes in cans.

I like to cook the chicken and stuff in an equal mix of chicken broth and water, then when I add the noodles at the last part I add more chicken broth , no water. You can make this as thick as you want or as runny , I like the thick soup. :D

Chuck.

JEM

I thought I read another but I guess not.

Anyway, made it tonight and it was a hit. And I found a way to get the kids to eat the celery and carrots: barely cook them so they are still pretty crunchy. Cook even less than eldante.

They gobbled them up. I thought I made way too much but half the bit pot is gone! :shock:

I wanted a little thicker broth. Not creamy but just a little bit less runny. Found a few things I could try next time.

from http://www.ochef.com/677.htm

A common way to thicken soups that also adds to the character of the soup is to add grains or cereals to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, and in the last hour of cooking, add the following amount of the grain specified for each cup of liquid you have. Immediately reduce the soup to a simmer, and let cook for an hour. These amounts will produce a light thickening effect:
-1 teaspoon barley
-1 teaspoon rice
-1 teaspoon oatmeal
-2 tablespoons wheat germ flour
-2 tablespoons peanut flour
-2 tablespoons soy flour
-1/2 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca

Also read that mixing in mashed potatoes does the trick too. I had some quick cook tapioca but forgot to use it. :roll:

Eichhornia

Sep 22, 2006
Florida
Something I learned from an old lady is to roast the chicken before you boil it into soup. I know, I thought the same thing. "That takes twice as long. How can that make any difference." It DOES make a taste difference! You don't have to cook it all the way through, just enough to get the outside all roasted and golden.