resin | SouthernPaddler.com

resin

I got my UJ kit in today. Anybody know how much resin I need? I plan on making it 14' long and however wide the ribs come out to be that came with the kit. gonna tape all seams with 3" 6oz. tape and cover the outside with 6oz. cloth. also don't know if I should use regular old resin I can get local or spend twice the amount and order epoxy. anybody clue me in on the pro's and con's of each resin type? I'm ready to get started but don't want to make a mistake buying supplies before I even physically start building.

I've got regular exterior 1/4" plywood. I saw somebodies picture on here where they stained their boat red mahogany. It is very nice looking and I would kinda like the same tint to mine. Guess I would need to stain the wood before filleting and glassing...right?

sorry for all the questions but this is a first for me and I want to make sure I'm doing it all right.

Thanks,
Grizz

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Grizz, and welcome aboard mate.

I got my UJ kit in today. Anybody know how much resin I need? I plan on making it 14' long and however wide the ribs come out to be that came with the kit. gonna tape all seams with 3" 6oz. tape and cover the outside with 6oz. cloth.

Count on using 5 or 6 quarts of resin.

also don't know if I should use regular old resin I can get local or spend twice the amount and order epoxy. anybody clue me in on the pro's and con's of each resin type?

I only use West Systems epoxy - specifically, 105 resin and 207 special purpose hardener. Others here use poly resin to good effect.

Here are my thoughs on resins.

You will be investing a significant amout of time and effort in your build. while quality epoxy may be much dearer than poly, it also bonds to the timber better, is stronger and, IMHO is easier to work with. The extra $100.00 or so is a very good investment.

I'm ready to get started but don't want to make a mistake buying supplies before I even physically start building.

Good call 8)

sorry for all the questions but this is a first for me and I want to make sure I'm doing it all right.

No problem mate. there are no stupid questions. :D

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
If you stain, use water based stain not oil based. I agree with Mick and think that epoxy is worth the extra money. I ordered mine from Raka and I think they have a discount for UJ customers. Yes, stain first before applying resin. I would recommend glassing the inside also at least on the bottom. It would make it stronger if you paddle up on a cypress knee. I have relatives near you around Monroe and between there and Rayville. One of my cousins there used to do some trapping and might still do it.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
d

Poly is a more toxic system.
If you use it , MAKE SURE you use a resperator and have lots of fresh air.

Epoxy causes a rash on some pepole.

Both require gloves, the kind you buy at the big box store Latex or the other kind. for 10 $ for 50 or 100.

Poly is cheaper and will outlast the normal wear and tear on a boat.

There is some talk of it seperating after five years or so.

Epoxy will outlast you if you protect it with varnish. 4 or 5 coats and re-apply a coat every couple of years.

Either will make a fine boat.
For me, epoxy has less chance of a toxic reaction so I chose to use it.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Try googling on something like "epoxy polyester resin" maybe adding wood and/or boats to that and reading through the results . I have never done any tests, but the consensus is that epoxy bonds much better to wood and will flex with the wood and will reduce moisture penetration better. It also has less fumes and is easiler to get mixed in correct proportions and the molecules crosslink together to make it stronger.
My 2 cents is that if you are going to put the time and labor into building the boat spend the extra money and use epoxy.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Epoxy, dude. Just go with epoxy. Glass the inside and outside. Build a strong boat. That way when the situation get bad you won't have to worry about you boat cracking out there in the middle of nowhere :cry:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
4 of six boats I have built out of poly resin no cracks yet and I use them hard
Ron

IM001732.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
All the boat companies that I have talked with, done business with, or corresponded with use epoxy. I'm guessing they know something.

I misuse my boats and epoxy is like the little, pink bunny - it just keeps going, and going, and going, and ....

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
You talked to the wrong boat companys :lol:
Grizz
I guess I am an outlaw as far as the resin goes and wood to. I use the laun but I have had good results out of both
Do what ever fits your budget they will both make a good servicable boat
I want get into the debate about whats best mine works thats all I know
in five years they may not be in as good shape as the epoxy I will just have to wait and see.
On Jack and my trip on the river his boat was epoxy graphite bottom mine was polester with rustolem over it we both had some scratches and we ran a lot of rocks they both did a good job.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron's sure right about the rocks. They even scrubbed off graphite in some places. I have patches where the original epoxy shows. Water was deep enough to float a boat, but there was about 5" of rocks in it. Not enough left over to do the job.

Ron's boat was scraped up about like mine. But, mine was accompanied through the rocks by better cuss words.