Clicky

Resized Kayak Paddle Blade

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
After disappointed performance of my Greenland paddle, I am trying another idea. All my plastic paddles seem to be 7" to 7.5" wide by 16"+ long. For my usage I'm thinking less surface area should work better. Instead of investing the time and work to build one, I bought a cheap paddle and modified it.
7.25"
IMG_4385.JPG

Reduced it to 6.25" wide.
IMG_4391.JPG

Compare
IMG_4392.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
$26.00 clunker from Academy Sports. My budget (Mrs. Bee) does not allow me to experiment on carbon fiber ($).
Easier to alter the plastic one than building from wood. If it does not work out no big loss.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have used this paddle one time and like it. It will take several more trips to know how it works under different conditions.
Seems to me paddles are like boats. None are perfect for every condition or usage. Best we can do is pick one that works best for our use/needs.
Hard to describe the differences, but it takes less effort to make a stroke. The cadence has to increase to make equal speed. Not so fast as to feel rushed, but just not as leisurely. It was easier to make one handed corrective strokes while fishing because of the less resistance.