Rice, grits and Casablanca..... | SouthernPaddler.com

Rice, grits and Casablanca.....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I just got my Bakepacker and some food from her about a week ago.
All you experts on the Bakepacker, please give me instuction on cooking rice in the Bakepacker. I don't want mushy rice, I like firm grains of it.
Also, have you cooked polenta and grits in it?
What kind of cooking bags do you use, the ones recomended by Bakepacker? Can you cook those Lipton noodle and rice packs in it? Can you cook Lipton soup in it? Looking forward to a long friendship with the Bakepacker. "Casablanca" Final Scene, "Louie, this can be the start of a long friendship!"

Miz Jean is a fine Lady........

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
oldyaker said:
I just got my Bakepacker and some food from her about a week ago.
All you experts on the Bakepacker, please give me instuction on cooking rice in the Bakepacker.
Yak, I don't eat that stuff anymore.... so I can't tell ya waht ya need to know....I'd think you would use a regular pot ( Down boy down) > :wink:

What kind of cooking bags do you use, the ones recomended by Bakepacker?
yeah and I have used those cooking bags from the super market too. My guess is that any kind of bag that takes to hot water will do... no not the sleeping bag....

Can you cook those Lipton noodle and rice packs in it? Can you cook Lipton soup in it? Looking forward to a long friendship with the Bakepacker. Why not?

"Casablanca" Final Scene, "Louie, this can be the start of a long friendship!" Have you contacted Jack and his inflatable "bed mattress yet"?

Miz Jean is a fine Lady....... Goes w/o say'in :lol: .

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker

I use a regular pot for the rice, soups and such. Jack steams his rice better ask him about that.

For doing cornbread, casseroles, omelets, biscuits, pizzas, calazones, cakes, chicken, fish or anything you would bake then it is the backpacker.

The bags I have been using are really good and Ms. Jean was telling me she uses them also but for liability reasons in her book she tells folks to use the Reynolds oven bags.
Here is what I use ..... The Glad Storage Original Twist Tie Gallon bags. I get them from Wally World and they come 100 to a box.

Just remember to use about 1/3 less water in the bag when using the backpacker since the water does not evaporate when cooking with it and don't forget to put about 1 inch of water in your cooking pot or you will melt the bag over the grid works.

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Yak, also remember that fats in the recipe cause for adjustments... and maybe no use of fats.... chocolate is in-famous to bake inside the bakepacker. I have done it but you get a real mushy cake....

I have the 9inch Bakepacker..... boasting mostly... :wink:

swampy

(swampy think family forum...family forum...)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
I have the 9inch Bakepacker..... boasting mostly... :wink:

swampy

(swampy think family forum...family forum...)

Go ahead and brag big fella, I got the latest model, it's 9-1/32"!!!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
oldsparkey said:
You guys can do the baking .. I have the BakePacker Ultra-Light and it is only 5 3/4 , just right for one or two guys.
But that is just me dainty and light. :lol: "O" did I say modest also :? mmmmmmmmmm. I have went "off the tracks" one time today... better to keep it that way.... Yak... you did find some "dainty" stuff while out traveling.... I think I know where we can unload them at er... to... :wink: :lol:

Chuck

Yak... can we call him "Shorty" now? ...... just wonderin....... 5 and 3/4 .... that's not enough for a hamburger.... and no cake ... just muffins....
swampy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I retired my BakePacker and use a standard folding, steamer basket. More adaptable to various sized pots from 5 1/8" clear past 9 1/32". I found one with no center post (if yours has one, remove it) and detachable legs. Packs a little bit flatter.

I use the cheap "bread & food" storage bags, store brand. Glad brand are great if your store sells those. Actually, once you start using those bags for cooking, you'll likely become addicted to them for many other uses too.

Tex-Mex Cornbread
1 cup yellow corn meal; 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt; 2 Tbsp oil; 1 tsp sugar; 1 egg, beaten
1 ea 8 1/2 oz can cream style corn; 2 Tbsp oil
1/3 cup milk (or 1/3 cup water + 3 Tbsp powdered milk)
4 oz (1 cup) shredded cheese; Small onion chopped
2-3 Tbsp jalapenos / peeled green chilies
steam 35-40 minutes

I'd cook corn meal by package directions with the following changes: reduce the water by a bit, say 20% for starters, and extend cooking time about 30%. Only real caution is to ensure the pot has sufficient water, but it should not extend up and touch the plastic bag of food. Only steam should touch the bag.

DO NOT cook soups in the BakePacker! They cook nicely, but you are then risking handling a plastic bag of boiling liquid. Dangerous!

Brad

Jan 25, 2005
N.W. Oklahoma
I was thinking that Buffalo River trip in April may be fun but if one of the requirements is gourmet camp cooking I'm definitely out.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Brad,

Remember the old addage of "It's a poor dishwiper that can't get what a poor dishwasher leaves behind"? well, it's the same with eating and cooking.

"It's a poor gourmet eater that can't stomach (without geting sick), what a poor gourmet cook hands out."

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Brad.... Bard..... not to worry..... first : Jack ain't going ...(something about having to keep Bambi away frum old geezers....) :wink:
Second: The rest of us cook up toemain the likes you have never tasted! 8)
Thirdly:
This is the list of the main "side arms" in camp.
Salt, pepper, hot sauce, Zazaran (plus), Tex-Mex powder ( secret ingredients... if shared, you'd have to be shot to keep it secret....) :shock: ,

I think Chuck carries his own salt peter..... :twisted:

Brad, you should see our "Medicine List" ! :roll: :wink:

swampy
The Bodine Outbound Guide and Fortune Tellar

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Brad said:
I was thinking that Buffalo River trip in April may be fun but if one of the requirements is gourmet camp cooking I'm definitely out.

Bloody good idea Brad!!!! Lets do it!!! My entry is a PA favorite...........

Groundhog Casarole!

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Oh Yak! Does this mean I can enter my Roadside Kill o' th' Week?

There's a "run on" possum thiz week.... :oops:

Chef-Roy-B-M
Bodine School o' Highway Cuisine & Repairz
Memebr that spring iz comin..... look fer th' toad spcials!!!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Swampy said:
Oh Yak! Does this mean I can enter my Roadside Kill o' th' Week?

There's a "run on" possum thiz week.... :oops:

Chef-Roy-B-M
Bodine School o' Highway Cuisine & Repairz
Memebr that spring iz comin..... look fer th' toad spcials!!!

I figger we can pick up what we need along the road 'tween Nashville and Jasper Swampy. Save some room in that pick up bed!
The boyz said we're mak'n dinner so it's our choice what to feed 'em!
Alot of hot sauce, garlic and onion they'll think it waz the greatest thing they ever ate! We should be able to pick up a wide variety of critters and play that game, "What am I eat'n?"

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Good thinkin Yak! That's what yer good at....

We'll travel slow so we kin stop fast fer sum greta cookin later in camp...
Those boyz will "light up" when they cast thar eyes on th' pot jest a hang'in over them thar coals...
swampy ( the second half of this wild dynamic duel)