Robb White Sport Boat | SouthernPaddler.com

Robb White Sport Boat

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
It has been 4 years since I built my last canoe and a few years since I purchased the plans for Robb White's strip built version of the Gruman Sport Boat. Over the weekend, I finally started working on the boat. So far, I have the transom cut out and one layer of 4 oz. fiberglass added along with one fill coat of epoxy. I made the transom out of salvaged redwood that I have on hand. It will likely be a few weeks before I get any more work done on the project as I need to complete another woodworking project, mill strips for the boat and make the forms. I'll add more photos as I go.

Kurt

f7743bde.jpg

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
That's a nice looking boat. Does anyone have a rough idea of dimensions?

captaindoug, I absolutly agree with your signiture line :lol:

Richard

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
From Robb White's Website:
Specifications:
Strip planked
Length 16'
Beam 43"
Weight 88# (without floorboards)
Engine: Martin 60, 7.2 hp., National Pressure Cooker Company, Eau Claire, Wisc., 1946... wt. 40#.
Performance:
The boat will easily plane two adults with 3 hp. and will run like all-get-out with this engine. I recommend five or six hp.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
I'm calling it 90% finished. I've submitted the paperwork to get it registered and I'm waiting for the inspection so that I can obtain registration numbers. A few things remain to be done. I need to make a detachable anchor lock for the bow, add a bow line, mount cleats in the stern and work on some cosmetic issues. The rain/high humidity hasn't been conducive to a good varnish finish. Once I spend some time in it, I may add rod holders and who knows what else. I want to try out a trolling motor mounted just behind the front thwart. If it tracks straight, I will add a small block of wood to the outside of the hull so that the trolling motor will mount properly. The person in the front seat will be able to operate the tm and it will raise up behind the front thwart.

edde4cc8.jpg

c9ed8884.jpg

bcfb1dec.jpg

c1655c1c.jpg

1e6a615b.jpg

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Kurt,
Beautiful looking boat and nice job :!: :!:
Looks like a perfect boat for my upper amite river float!
What are the thickness of the strips?
What glass weights did you use on the out and insides?