Robin and Hairies Excellent adventure - Part 5. | SouthernPaddler.com

Robin and Hairies Excellent adventure - Part 5.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
After a couple of days in the cut and thrust of the bloody Gold Coast, Robin and I had had well and truly enough of the rat race. Just an hour or so west from there is what is called the Gold Coast Hinterland, dotted with small towns and vast stretches of mountanous national park

Neither of us had ever been there before so off we went. After we had cleared the traffic and highrise we found ourselves on a quiet mountain road and looking for a place to pull over and have a cuppa to calm our shattered nerves.

We fund a small layby, beside a flowing creek in a patch of rainforest and thought this is as good as any. it was heaven after the Gold Coast. Quiet - peaceful and just lovely. there were a bunch of young blokes who had set up camp in a picnic shelter and were busy down the creek fishing. While they were away, the locals raided their camp and were still there when we came by. Not much food was left for the silly young buggers who didn't know enough to secure their food before leaving.

Check out the gut ont his bloke. :lol:

IMG_1116Small.jpg

IMG_1123Small.jpg

He is about 6 feet long :D There were another dozen or so of his mates still raiding the camp. :lol:

IMG_1126Small.jpg

Paradise?
IMG_1109Small.jpg

After the madness of the gold coast. it was for us. :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Continueing right along, we came to a place called Natural Arch. National Park. Old growth rainforest national park in the foot hills leading to our great dividing range. Not as impressive or as high as your Rockies but pretty special to us.

:D
IMG_1132Small.jpg

:D

IMG_1143Small.jpg

There aresome lovely walks through the bush here that lead to a small waterfall that fales through a hole in the ground and into a cave. I have never seen anything like it.

IMG_1178Small.jpg

IMG_1150Small.jpg

IMG_1156Small.jpg

IMG_1163Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Jack, The lizard is a goanna. They grow pretty big but if left alone, pose no threat. They are fearsome raiders of camps and will eat just about anything that is not secured.

BTW they are also very good to eat but the oils in their flesh will make ya stink pretty bad for a couple of weeks or so. :D

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick , I am not sure what you guy's were drinking but it sure had an affect on you. I hate to say this but the picture of the mountains and the road ....
Mate , You are driving on the wrong side of the road , you can get hurt doing that , if there is some oncoming traffic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey mick pretty country , is similar to the smokies.

The smell wouldn,t bother Jack . :) :lol: Guys I seen Micks teddy bear on the dash again. He must take him everywhere he goes too.

Chuck your are right they are on the wrong side of the road. Yak must a shared your sample package with him . :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

I slept, therefore I fergot. What the heck made that young, nice lookin' gal hook up with ya? Ya aint rich 'er a lawyer.....do ya sell used cars on the side? :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown