Robin & Hairie's Excellent adventure Part 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Robin & Hairie's Excellent adventure Part 4

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Next stop, was Wheensland's Gold Coast. Just South of brisbane and tourist and Theme Park mecca. in other words, bright lights, tall buildings and lots of people. Have I mentioned before that I don't play well in crowds?

Anyway, I was on my best behaviour and was pretty good, mostly. :oops:

Approaching the big smoke. (I bloody hate this place.)

IMG_0955Small.jpg

We stayed at Sea World Nara Resort. it was all very nice. The staff were friendly, professional and well - slick.

Here is a view from our room's balcony.

IMG_1028Small.jpg

We spent two days in the Sea World Theme Park and still didn't see it all. Robin spent a lot of time with the dolphins and at the end of the two days, we had both had enough of the crowds, jostling and bloody queues.

One special moment was when a dolphin calf was born while we were there.
IMG_0950Small.jpg

Another special moment, and the whole purpose of the trip to the Gold Coast in the first place.

IMG_0944Small.jpg

Trashy tourist piccy. I'm too old for this chit.
IMG_0910Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Just a couple more piccies from Sea World.

Nice sunset from the resort looking across the Broadwater towards Southport.

IMG_1004Small.jpg

Broadwater in daylight from the resort.

IMG_1002Small.jpg

Pig, the Dugong. orphaned at birth and rescued be Sea World (my favourite animal there)

IMG_1068Small.jpg

arrondo

Sep 28, 2006
Seattle, Washington
oldsparkey said:
How did you ever get the walrus to sit so close to you?
See, that just shows what a gentleman you are Chuck (pipe down, Jack). I would have asked, "who's that guy sitting next to you with the camera around his neck?"

Mick, my boss here in Seattle just took his wife to Sea World San Diego to meet the dolphins! If it wasn't similar enough one of the mother dophins was less than a day from calfing, too. They had a great experience with them as well.

Is a dugong the same animal as a manatee?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Arrondo,

The only down side to our Sea World for me were the crowds and the queues. I am a country boy and don't handle either well.

A dugong is a close relative to your manatee but not quite the same. They used to be prolific all along our coast line but now only isolated pods exist.

There used to be several pods numbering up to around 25 in the local area here of Hervey Bay but I have only seen individual animals here for about 20 years now. I don't know what has happened to them.

They are a gentle, quiet and inquisitive animal and they show little far of kayaks.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Enjoyed all the pix Mick! Now, which one are you? Are you in the blue hat? Or the white one?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
I don't know what has happened to them.
I do. It iz Bush's fault. Jest kiddin'......the correct answer iz "C. humans". It iz always the correct answer when the quality of life on this fragile blue rock heads north. :cry:

regards
bearridge

No dogs allowed (except seeing-eye dogs). US Postal Service sign