rod holders for pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

rod holders for pirogue

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been doing a little fishing (and a little less catching :( ) and needed a way to hold rods out of the way. A nine foot fly rod is cumbersome at best in a pirogue. I bought a couple of rod holders from Cabela's. I had seen a couple of people on the forum with them and for $14.99 a pair, you can't go wrong. Didn't want to drill any more holes in the boat so I came up with this idea. I attached them onto my removable foot brace and they can be removed leaving the bracket , if I just want to go cruising.
holdfront.jpg

holdclose.jpg

holdempty.jpg

Yes, I know I need a new seat. Have the plans for an Uncle John's/Sparkey seat, just haven't taken the time to build one.

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I like it alot! Necessity is the mother of invention. I like the foot brace. Is it held in by friction and forward pessure into the bow by vertue of the sides narrowing? And is that some rubber tubing straped to the ends to cause such friction and hold if you will?
Way to go Jdupre.

I fly fish also and have a great time doing so from the pirogue.
P6120002.jpg

P6120008.jpg

P6120010.jpg

P9180226.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre'

I hate to say this to you so late in the game but I'm pretty sure why you are not catching as many fish as you would like to.

It's that seat in the Pirogue , if you have a good one like a lot of us do then you would be bound to catch more fish. It is just something we don't like to tell everyone since it is such a good fish getter. Dang it , there I go letting the secreat out. :roll: :lol:

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
cctyer, yes it is held in by friction and I wrapped the ends with craft foam. Do I detect some hand-tied flies there? I've started tying my own and enjoy it. Adds another layer to the fly fishing thing.

Chuck, ya done shamped me. I'll go outside and deliver 3 self-inflicted upper cuts and go immediately to the shop and begin my new seat. :oops:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Heck yeah, I love tying almost as much as fishing. It is very rewarding to catch fish on your own flies. if you have any questions on tying etc or need any web-site recomendations let my know either here or back channels. I have been tying for about 6-7yrs now and find it not only relaxing but there seems to be a plethera of new things to learn or try. I am by no means a master at it but I can get around a vise well enough to turn out a few nice flies.
P5300002.jpg

P5060012-1.jpg

p31100132.jpg

p31100062.jpg

P1110059.jpg

Have fun and keep the pics coming of your fishes!

Chad

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice patterns, Chad. Very "buggy" looking.

Caught a few bluegills between showers yesterday evening and this morning. Used mostly bead head nymphs on a size 14 hook. Camera doesn't do close-ups well.

I started tying on size 10 and lately have gone to using some size 14. I can't imagine tying anything on the size 28 or 32. They are about the size of the letter J on this page. :shock:

Joey

islandpiper

Joey, I have decided what I want for Christmas this year......I'd like about a month of YOUR life......we could just trade for a month, right? I could go fishing and grind knives and paddle in the marsh, and you could fit violin bridges and finish my kitchen floor and dig some new flowerbeds that diane wants. Let me know when this would be most convenient for you.

:D :D :D

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Let's see, Piper, I can pencil you in on April 3, 2017 or maybe April 4th. :)

It's all a matter of priorities. I get someone to cut the grass(can't keep a mower and timmer going for what he charges me). Haven't watched a football, basketball or baseball game in 25 years(add up all of THOSE hours :shock: ). I live in a 65 year old house that is clean, maintained and all mine, so I don't have to drive an hour to work at a high paying job I don't like. All of this frees up a lot of time to 'investigate" things that pique my interest. No rat race in our house. 8)

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
jdupre', I don't tie anything smaller than 24 cuz it's two hard for me to see let alone tie on 7x tippet. I do have quite a few midge patterns that I trout fish with that are that small and catch fish on them quite often. It does seem odd that you can even hook a fish on a hook that small.

Now for priorities! I think you have them more than right, if you think about it most of us do spend an awful lot of time in front of the BOOB tube. myself included and more times than I care to admit it makes me upset at what the MEDIA is trying to tell us or more to the point shove down our throat.
Anyhow, Good for you. I should take a que from you and do more of the same.

Piper my friend! I would give fiddle makin a try if you want to come and open the restaurant for me and fix some good old country gravy and biscuits at 4 am. I'm even willing to throw in mowing the acre and a half and even include in a tank of gas for the mower! :lol:
Oh and I finnaly finished tiling all 323 sq. ft of kitchen /laundry entry/dining area. But I'm sure we can come up with a really fun project you can do in your liesure time.
P4120028.jpg

P4190047.jpg

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
I don't know if it was still cold Uncle Jack but there are two cans on the counter to my right or picture left. 8)

Also you might notice the antique all chrome still has a cloth cord 4 slice will cook bread till it's on fire if you want 30 lb Toastmaster toaster on the counter opposite the beer. I was given that toaster by my long since passed Grandma and love it more than any other toaster I have ever owned. They really don't make em like that any more.

I don't usally ever let a beer get warm bye the way!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's not nice to pick on the handicapped , Jack has this habit of missing a lot unless we take him by the hand and actually point it out to him. There are times when it becomes necessary to repeat yourself so he gets the message.

There are times when it becomes necessary to repeat yourself so he gets the message.
There are times when it becomes necessary to repeat yourself so he gets the message.
There are times when it becomes necessary to repeat yourself so he gets the message. Usually three is the magic number for it to sink in with him , one more for good measure does not hurt. Even then it is lost at times , hard to get anything threw Granite , even daylight. :lol:

When a person does that it is normally called helping the handicapped or pointing out the obvious. That is something a lot of them Mitachigan Seniors miss when there is no one around to help them.

Since Jack is such a nice guy , cough , gasp , gag , snicker , choke ...I'm thinking we might take up a charity drive to get him a seeing eye dog , a chuauwa ( you know one of them Mexican jobbies in the hairless variety) might be nice. He could keep it in his shirt pocket.
Hell I'm no Mexican so I have no idea how you spell that mutts name. :wink:

Now if Jack would build and paddle a Pirogue then we would not be HI JACK ING this Pirogue thread. :wink: :roll: :p

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Joey & Tier,

Some great information on your pirogue set ups guys. Great lateral thinking like this will help to keep our boats improving. Thank you for sharing.

Oh yeah, this is also one of the best hijacks I have seen in a while. Love ya work guys. 8)

Are those fish Bluegill? They look a little like our Jungle Perch.

Tier, I am not a fly fisherman (mainly because I have been too lazy to be bothered to learn :oops: ) but I really like your flies mate. I have been reliably informed that our bass go ballistic on flies and I think I will have to make the effort soon. Will be asking lots of questions here shortly. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Hijack? Here? Naw....ya gotta be all mixed up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ole Christopher Columbo wuz lookin' fer India.....likely fer grits 'n spices.....when he come here on the Pinto. Nobody called him a hijacker! They named towns after him, but ya caint talk about him no more less ya call him a evil doer.....that comes frum history version 2.07. :?

regards
bearridge

That's all I have to say about that. Forrest Gump

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Anytime Mick, If I can help out in any way just say so. I'm always trying to recruit more fanatics to fly fishing and tying. It's a real kick in the pants when you get hold of a good size fish on a flyrod. It takes a little getting used to but I'm sure you would take to it well.

Keep me posted! Oh yeah those are bluegill mate and if they got to be much larger they would not be stoppable. Little freight trains I call em.

What's a hijacking? 8)