Rookie questions | SouthernPaddler.com

Rookie questions

Bibomo

Jan 6, 2010
Siesta Key, Florida
Received the plans and went to Both Hardware Supercenter Chains to price out materials.

Luan Plywood for sides and bottom found
3/4" x 1 3/4 for stems no such size to be found
1 1/2" x 2" for ribs no such size to be found
1 1/4" x 3/4" for rails no such size found

Making Uncle Johns Pirogue

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
3/4" x 1 3/4 for stems no such size to be found
Should be 1X2 actual sizes
1 1/2" x 2" for ribs no such size to be found
2X4 ripped down
1 1/4" x 3/4" for rails no such size found
look in the moulding department. should be able to find some flat moulding that will work thats close to that dimension

Hope that helps

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On the pirogues I have made I like to use the 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch lattice stripes ( Molding Dept). You can get them in a 16 foot length so there are no splices or joints to make. They form really well to the boat but they are Pine and a soft wood. A couple coats of epoxy on them and it helps to preserve them.
In fact that is what I am using on the Bayou Skiff as the railing , both inside and outside.

Remember it is nothing more then a boat , wood and fiberglass , made the way you want it.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
A quick search on Google maps turned up Robert's Hardwood lumber in Sarasota and several other places that might be able to supply suitable lumber that could be cut to those sizes. The easiest solution might be to just order the kit from Uncle John. The big chains do sell pine trim in long lengths that can be used as rails even if not in the specified size.

Bibomo

Jan 6, 2010
Siesta Key, Florida
Probably gonna order kit. Wish they had a just stem and ribs price since I already bought the plans.
And if this goes well I plan to make more for friends and family.

Robert

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jimmy W said:
The easiest solution might be to just order the kit from Uncle John.

That's what I do , besides being lazy I don't have all the fancy woodworking stuff , like power saws that cut angles and the rest.

WARNING >>>--------->
When you get the sides attached to the bow and stern pieces and the ribs ...DO NOT pick it up and try to move it till you get the outside rails on. If you try to pick it up before they are attached the sides will flex and break one or more of the ribs. The outside rail needs to be attached to keep the sides from flexing.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Bibomo said:
Probably gonna order kit. Wish they had a just stem and ribs price since I already bought the plans.
And if this goes well I plan to make more for friends and family.

Robert
Call them up and ask if you can get a discount on the kit since you already bought the plans. I don't know if they will do it, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Jimmy

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I went through this same problem. Like you I made my list and went off to every hardware store. Couldn't find anything for the ribs? Glad you asked.