Round Profile | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Round Profile

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
beekeeper said:
Question #2 If the 15 degree sided pirogue's floor (bottom) was widened so it would float at the same depth as the one with 30 deg. flared sides, would they paddle the same?

beekeeper

Short answer--- No. But there would only be .006237 lbs of resistance difference between them. I have to go now-- my calulator is smoking.
:wink:

:mrgreen:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I think this discussion brings out why boat building is so addictive
There are so many variables and every time you throw one into the equation it changes things
Plus ,your size :shock: paddling skills,load you need to carry, type of water you paddle,how rough you are on a boat.
All this makes it dang near impossible to answer some of these questions.
Ron

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Of all the repsonses on this topic, I think Joey's is the most truthful and accurate.

The biggest factor in making MY pirogue go faster is my abilty to lose about 30 pounds. :lol:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
beekeeper said:
Question #2 If the 15 degree sided pirogue's floor (bottom) was widened so it would float at the same depth as the one with 30 deg. flared sides, would they paddle the same?

beekeeper

Short answer--- No. But there would only be .006237 lbs of resistance difference between them. I have to go now-- my calculator is smoking.
:wink:

:mrgreen:

Thanks Joey for the short answer. Which boat has .006237 lbs of resistance less than the other?

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I'm thinking that BeeKeeper should be building a boat with a flat bottom and about 22.5 degree sloped sides. Pointy front end and squared off stern for a single cylinder kicker.

I have already built that boat. My "Firewood Skiff":
IMG_0442.jpg

:? Jack are you calling me a "single cylinder kicker"? :x :wink: :lol:

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Very nice looking rig, Jimmy. Still find it odd to see someone paddling "backwards". Cajuns want to see where they're going- not where they've been. :)