Roundhill Creek 1770 | SouthernPaddler.com

Roundhill Creek 1770

dawallace45

Finally decided that enough was enough and I had to bite the bullet and get out paddling , been putting it off as I've just had so much to do with the house , I organised with my brother to go down to Roundhill creek at 1770 yesterday , I'd given Bruce my old skin on frame BK18 about a month back and showed him how to set up the lee boards and rudder and he made up a mast out a extendable alloy handle for a paint roller and some metal pipe to suit a sail I gave him ,
2007_0704Roundhill0004.jpg

So yesterday morning I got up while still dark and got ready , day wasn't starting off well as my back was too stiff and sore to bend over and put my boots on [ back is out again and pressing on a nerve ] , had to wander around for 15 minutes until I could find some thing to hook into the tabs of my laughing side boots and help pull them on , thought maybe that going paddling with my back out wasn't the best idea I'd had for a while but decided " stuff it if I have to wait until I'm not in some sort of pain I'd never do any thing " , picked up my brother and we were on the water by 8.30 am , I'd been working on the idea of paddling with the incoming tide until it turned and then paddling back with the out going tide , there was a bit of breeze [ gentle ] blowing up the creek and my brothers sail worked well , it kept him going at paddling pace while he just leaned back and dangled a lure out the back ,
2007_0704Roundhill0001.jpg

Me on the other hand had to paddle the whole way , I'd made up a 10 minute version of a Inuit paddle out of a 8 ft length of 2" x 3" pine stud the day before , the sort of Inuit paddle made by some of who has never seen one in real life and doesn't know any of the dimensions and only had a very rough idea what they are about and is in a hurry and does it all by eye with a power plainer and a band saw , but I've decided that I like that style paddle better than any other sorts I've tried and will set about making a proper one in the near future ,
Getting back to Roundhill creek , I paddled at a steady clip for three hours with the tide ,
2007_0704Roundhill0010.jpg

I looked on the map when we got back and think we would have gone about 9 to 10 km up the creek , my brother actually had to paddle the last few km's as the creek was too narrow , twisting and shallow that far up for sailing , you can pretty much touch either bank with your paddle from the middle of the creek up there , on the way up I managed to catch a under size Flathead and a reasonable size stingray [ about three foot across ] , lost my lure on that one , cut him off at the side of the kayak as I didn't want to loose my mono trace , I realised that I'd left my trace line back in the car and didn't have any spare , holding him by the tail and trying to pull the lure out of it's mouth with some thing that size just wasn't going to work , I also lost a good sized flathead just a few metres from the kayak , must not have been hooked well ,

2007_0704Roundhill0006.jpg

Another thing I was trying out this trip was I'd made up a short leeboard mounted on the same setup I used for mounting my rod holders , the Mill Creek is a flat bottomed kayak with out a keel and there tends to be a fair bit of side slip with a decent wind blowing , I was hoping that the leeboard would help with that and it did , definitely a lot better with it than with out it .

2007_0704Roundhill0002.jpg

2007_0704Roundhill0008.jpg

When the tide changed we turned around , the next few km's were easy as we were going with the tide and the wind was behind us , then the wind changed when we come out of the narrow section and was alternating coming from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock and had jumped up a few notches , I was having to paddle twice as hard just to keep from going backwards , I was trying to get across to the left hand side of the creek to get some protection from the wind but just couldn't get across the wide open water section against the wind , it was all I could do to make any headway against the wind and keep out of the mangroves on the right hand side , my brother wasn't fairing all that well either and while when the wind first come up he was having a great time tacking back and forward across the creek [ it ranges from 150 metres to about 400 metres in the open section ] when the wind kicked up some more one particularly savage gust broke his mast off so he was back to paddling too , the last 4 km I was only paddling on the right hand side trying to make any headway against the wind , the lumpy ride with all the chop was telling me that paddling with my back out wasn't the best idea I'd had in a while

About 7 hours after we started we were back to the car , and I was extremely happy to see the car , with the hard paddling , being out of shape from not paddling for so long , not bringing any painkillers for my back with me and not having a high backed seat I was well and truly stuffed ,

Next time I go there I'm going to change the position of the rod holders and get a better seat , I've been thinking very seriously of building a Southwind and as soon as I check out Mick's I'll make the decision , if I do then the Mill creek is going to be turned into a sailing kayak , my brother was having just too much fun to leave him to it on his lonesome

David

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Thanks David. Good pichurs 'n a fine report. Sorry bout yer back. I am glad ta see the wind always blows in yer face....even downunder. :wink:

regards
bearridge

There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government. Benjamin Franklin

dawallace45

Jack

Yeah , we both had a good time although the last hour and a half were a bit trying , Bruce really enjoyed the sailing part and he mentioned yesterday that he reckoned that the he had a easier time paddling back through the wind than I did , he said I must be out of condition , LOL , I told him that part is true but other factors had some thing to do with it like I'd paddled the whole way while he sailed 95% of the way up the creek and half way back down before his mast broke , also the shape of the BK18 has less wind profile than the Mill Creek , the BK18 has a slight V bottom with several keel strips plus the big double lee boards and the rudder , he reckoned that the rudder really helped but he hadn't really thought much about the lee boards , I still really like the Blandford style kayaks , always thought that a narrower model may even be a better paddling proposition but for sailing the beamy BK18 is hard to beat

2007_0704Roundhill0004.jpg

I wrote a small article in Duckworks some time back on the BK18 http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/art ... /index.cfm

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dave, Nice report and piccies mate. thank you for sharing.

I haven't been up to 1770 in about 8 or 9 years. Looking at your piccies has re kindled my desire to go back there.

Sorry to hear your back is playing up again mate. Clearly, you are not drinking enough rum. :D .

Your Mill Creek is a nice looking boat and I think would be very well suited to the backwaters. I have been looking at the study plans of a Mill Creek for a couple of years now. I think a southwind would be superior in your waters and an easier build. :D

dawallace45

Mick

The back is a on going thing , it's more normal for it to be out than in , I've just got to put up with it and deal with it , the paddling helps , at least it does when I use a double paddle , the paddling motion helps to strengthen the back muscles , when I paddle often it lessens the back problem ,

Wife reckons I snore too much on rum

Yep I agree , when I looked at your plan I was impressed , the Southwind has all the good points of the MC16.5 and none of the bad , it also looks to be lighter , how much does it weigh in at ? I seriously want to get down your way soon to try it out

I'm dieing to paddle Middle Creek and Eurimbula Creek

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Dave.

you really need to try that sit backer arrangement I have too. I can sit in it for hours on end without the need to stretch my legs.

Re Southwind's weight. I built it with 3mm blonde ply and even then, the lightest sheets in the bunch. Also used 85 gram cloth which was the lightest I could find. I used only just enough resin to fully cover the cloth. It still needs a touch up here and there.

I weighed it on the bathroom scales and the absolute bare boat comes it at a touch over 20 koligrams. I call that somewhere between 44 and 45 pounds.

Robins Perception Countour, I thing the Americans call them a Carolina, is supposed to weigh 24 kgs. Southwind is significantly lighter than that.

dawallace45

Mick

While I've not tried the Sit-Backer I've tried several similar seats and have yet to find one that held up to my weight long term , how is yours locked into place , can you post a picture showing detail ?

20 KG !!!! bloody hell , that's only a little more than the weight of a Hebel block , that is considerably lighter than my MC16.5 , I've really got to get down and check that boat out

David