Rowing | SouthernPaddler.com

Rowing

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009

Cajun skiff is rowed bow forward, by a standing oarsman facing forward. Could this method be used from a sitting position?
Makes sense to me to be able to see where you are going without the hoot owl moves. :roll:

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
JD,
I grew up on the river and we almost always rowed facing forward. Much easier fishing brush piles, seeing the next bank line, frogging, or just see where you are going. Can’t push as strong as you can pull, so sometimes the current or wind would dictate that we row backwards.

Good Fish’n

Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks Andy for the response.
Oars or the short paddles work best for casting?
Any guide lines for oar length vs. beam width?

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I think oars or short paddles depends on how tight of places you fish. For example I used to use oars in the gravel pits, but they are pretty worthless in Baudcaw and such places. I'm pretty sold on the short paddles with holders outside the Pirogue. Where I'm at in Texas now I have to cross open lake water to get to my kind of fishing... Backs of cove and creeks. I use my double paddle to get there, take it apart and stow it to fish with the short paddles. Sure makes me miss Bossier Parish!

Good Fish'n
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I'm not an oarsman, but figured they would work in about the same places as a double kayak paddle. 99% of the time for me the double is fine. I was just not sure if they would interfere with casting. My double rest on the top rails and is out of the way, even for side arm cast.
These Cajun rowing skiffs are interesting to me. Seems it would be an excellent design for anything a large canoe or small john boat would be used for. Camping, 2 or more people touring, etc. Built with lighter material it could be loaded and handled by one person. I believe the builder of this one said it was 16' long X 36" floor width.

beekeeper