Rowing | SouthernPaddler.com

Rowing

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I'm considering adding oars to my pirogue. Have any of you tried this? What would I need to make it work?

I want to row because I like to troll instead of casting for fishing. I want to try planer boards, but turning around every 4 or 5 seconds to watch the planers seems too much trouble.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
I'm considering adding oars to my pirogue. Have any of you tried this? What would I need to make it work?

Two oars and two oar locks on the boat. :roll:

Actually you could do the same thing with a paddle or ... a kayak paddle. Then you would not need the oars or oar locks on the boat. Now you would be sitting and looking forward and not backwards like when someone is rowing a boat.

With a couple of rod holders and a moderate speed , the fish would hook itself when it hits the bait , grab the rod , reset the hook and then the fun starts.

When fishing and wanting to troll , a paddle works for me. John Deppa used a sail on his canoe in the Everglades National Park when trolling. I guess it all boils down to what do you want to use and how.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Or, you could mount your rod holders in front of you. works a treat for me. :D

Poona11-11-0633Small.jpg

Poona11-11-0635Small.jpg

BunyipBuild172Small.jpg

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I used to sometimes row my old square stern canoe. Like Chuck said, I just added oarlocks to the gunnels and used some about 6 foot oars. For a narrow pirogue, you might want to rig a frame to move the oarlocks further out. Maybe somewhat similar to these in this photo.
412px-AmstelRiverRowing.jpg

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Re: r

a Bald Cypress said:
if he is REAL lucky, he may be able to get that crew to row for him.

Then all he has to do is [fish]

Hmm, that sounds good. Maybe pay pay'em a bowl of rice every week.

Seriously, I like trolling cause it allows me to fish and explore and get some exercise. I'd rather catch than fish.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Hairymick, do you troll with crankbaits? I've had pretty good luck with trolling green crankbaits.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Yeah mate,

crankbaits or diving, minnow type hard body lures.

Mostly, I just paddle round, working the edges of banks and such with a couple working behind me. Easy.

A lot of your Cabelas own brand cranks work a treat out here, as do the Japanese, Ecogear brand, in thir SX40 and SX 60 range.

The Ecogear lures are very expensive though, and I catch nearly as many fish on the Cabelas ones. Rapala Cranks, in the shad rap range also work very well for me.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
it's a 14' pirogue with a 24" bottom

the sides flare out at 26 degrees, so the width at the beam is 35"

the oars are 5' long

If you notice, there are nine ribs in this pirogue. It's called a timberman or logger style pirogue. It was made for folks that went into the swamp to harvest logs. It's the proverbial brick outhouse of pirogues. Very strong, it could withstand branches and tree tops and banging into booms of logs and still float home.

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
So the shorter oars would probably be better?

I may go this route: just get some 5 foot oars, bolt on some oar locks and go for it.

Which oar locks do you recommend?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
don't know enough about oarlocks to recommend one over the other.

Hamilton Marine, Jamestown Distributors, and any other marine supply house would have options to choose from.

Folks around here don't row much, they'd rather see where they're going instead of seeing where they've been.