Rub rail problem | SouthernPaddler.com

Rub rail problem

Geezer

Jun 12, 2008
Wisconsin
OK brain trust, here's the situation: I'm building 2 UJ pirogues 15' 5" 3mm meranti with 6" butt blocks of 1/4" luan. 4 rib option. Novice. I had liked the pix of closet bar rails I had seen so I decided to go that route, but I thought I'd go one better and not split the bars with a rabbet instead I opted for a single bar with a 3/4' groove in the middle to lay right over the top. It looks great. I figure to cut the top 3/4" of the ribs to curve around the rail and epoxy thereto. Now that I am ready to assemble, I am a little nervous about this. Is this bar going to handle the torque? Would it be better to add the rail first? Certainly it would be easier to fit my adapted ribs that way and I could put bars across the ribs to strengthen until the boat was glassed. Or am I going to have to steam those suckers and if I do, would epoxy stick to waterlogged pine? WHAT SHOULD I DO? :?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
OK.. You have me totally confused , something easy to do.

You are using 3 mm wood and want to attach a bar with a 3/4 inch grove in it to the sides. ?????? That is going to leave a 1/2 inch gap between the sides and the bar , a good place for water to gather.

Unless you plan on slipping it over the rails ?????

I put on the rail ( outside one ) to keep from breaking the ribs as the boat is moved around during the rest of the building and glassing it. Then the inside rail to form the boat.

If you are going to add the rails and then cover them with the bar , I would steam the bar or at lease bend it into the shape I wanted to fit over the sides before installing it . Steam it and then let it dry in the shape you want , then install it.

Just trying to answer you but taking shots in the dark from this end........ Someone should be able to give the correct answer.... I Hope.

You might want to tell Uncle John I said for you to ask him about this , he would understand a lot better then I do. You have asked something that has me guessing about the way to go , not the best thing when building a boat.

It's best to take a day and get the correct answer , if no one on here has it.

Chuck.

Geezer

Jun 12, 2008
Wisconsin
Chuck thanks for the reply. I was utterly incomprehensible. I have a solid one piece closet bar in which I cut a 1/4" wide goove lengthwise 3/4" deep which I plan to slide the top of the sides into leaving a nice half round on either side for a symmetrical inside and out one piece rub rail. Aesthetically very pleasing but I am wondering if I will be able to put it on after I have attached the stems or whether it will break when I try to crank it on there. I am considering mounting the rail before attaching the stems and ribs although that will torque pretty well too and it might be tough to get on the ribs. I just wondered what you guys thought. The desperation move would be steam but ...I dunno from steam.
Thanks
Geezer

Geezer

Jun 12, 2008
Wisconsin
I think you're right Matt and I'm pretty disgusted with myself because I didn't think it through before I went to the time, expense and trouble to mill the rods and cut notches for the stems and angle the ends. As long as I've put this much into it though, maybe I should give it a shot with steam...I think I read somewhere that you could fashion a tube with an exhaust fan on one end and and big ol' pot of boiling water on the other and I do have an exhaust fan, a huge pot and a propane cajun cooker left over from my brewing days...On the other hand, maybe I should just do it by the book...I'd really like to finish this project successfully. Dang. For some reason I really had my heart set on those rub rails. Thanks for the advice.
Geezer