Rub rails | SouthernPaddler.com

Rub rails

butlercg2

Jan 19, 2008
San Diego
Hi,
I have been lurking for over a year, and have finally started an UJ's Pirogue, I got the plans and kit June of last year, I'm a slow starter. My question is when to attach the rub rails, I have seen several places where they suggest attaching them before you connect the stems, others and UJ suggest after the stems have been attached. Which is best/easiest.
Thanks in advance
Chuck Butler

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
I did both of mime after the stems and ribs were in place and it worked out fine for me.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Attach the sides to the end pieces then temporally put the ribs in place and the next step is to attach the side rails , usually the outside one.

When you have the sides on and then the ribs to form the boat you need the extra support of one of the rails or if you try to move the boat you will break a rib , the boats not yours. The sides will flex out causing a rib to break.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
... The sides will flex out causing a rib to break...
Chuck, could a rope be wrapped around the hull in a couple or three places, and tied to prevent the sides from sagging outwards?

It could do the trick but putting the bottom on would prove to be interesting with the rope holding the boats sides where they should be. Sometimes the sides want to flex inward which could be a problem with the rope holding things together.

You get a lot better shape with one of the side rails on forming the shape of the boat.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Just wondering. I've sometimes tied a rope from gunnel to gunnel like a thwart. Was wondering if it would assist in this operation.

Turning the boat over to attach the bottom sounds ticklish. Maybe have the rope on for turning, remove it, and then attach the bottom?

butlercg2

Jan 19, 2008
San Diego
rub rail update

Thanks for all the help. I attached both bow stems and put the middle ribs in. Then someone noticed that one of the sides is beginning to crack.
I looks like two steps forward, three back. I plan on putting a fiberglass wrap patch over the crack. about 2-3 inches on either side of the crack and wrapped on both sides. I think this will work. Any comments/suggestions.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Is it the joint cracking or the plywood cracking?

Dunno how others here feel, but if you're having this serious of a problem this early in the build, you might want to consider starting over.

It may be a bad piece of plywood and what else is going to happen when you take it out and put it under a load? It's one thing to brag about building a boat with the thinnest, cheapest wood you can find, but when your behind is in a crack (or under water) you'll wish you'd done better.