Rub rails | SouthernPaddler.com

Rub rails

Outlaw

Aug 11, 2012
Need some help I'm trying to do my rub rails. Im using 1-3/4 x 1/4 I ripped from a sixteen foot 2x4 but clamping them up to the boat they seem to be to siff and rigid. I was thinking about ripping them again to 1-3/4x1/2. Any info from builders would be helpful.

Thanks
Outlaw

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
What kind of boat are you building?
What kind of wood?
Did you mean to say they are 1/2" thick now, and you plan to reduce the thickness to 1/4" ?
I could be reading you question wrong.

beekeeper

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Are you saying that they are too stiff and rigid to conform to the curve of the hull? I wouldn't think 1/2" would be too thick to conform, much less 1/4". You have to understand, though, that it takes a LOT of clamps to do this. Like one clamp per foot, or more, depending on the stiffness of the wood and the tightness of the curve.

George

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
plenty of clamps is dead on

also look at the end grain, you want the growth rings parallel - not perpendicular - to the long side. it will also bend easier if outside of the tree is the outside of the bend.

start in the middle and attach toward the stems and have long enough rails to extend about a foot past each end of the boat to give yourself more leverage when you get to the stems

1/2" thick should be flexible enough - we use about 3/4" thick

your long side at 1 3/4 " seems a bit large, but i don't know if you're wanting a single outside rail or double (inside and outside) rails. For most applications i think you could get by with 1 1/4" for the long side

Outlaw

Aug 11, 2012
It is a UJ pirogue I used 1/4 Luan plywood. The rub rails are 3/4 wide 1-3/4 tall and 16 foot long. The grain runs with the boat. They seem to fit pretty good until I get to the bow and stern. I think I'm gonna rip them down to 1/2 wide 1-1/4 tall I do plan on adding inside spacers with another rail on the inside.

Outlaw

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A question to consider, and you may already have thought this one through and I'm going over plowed ground. If you have an inside rail with spacers, you may well not need an outside one too. You should have sufficient strength provided with the inside rail and spacers (a box beam type arrangement). An outside rail will provide protection if your use involves rubbing up against stuff a lot.