S O S .......ya, go ahead and click on it | SouthernPaddler.com

S O S .......ya, go ahead and click on it

islandpiper

Here's an excerpt from KITCHEN STORIES FROM THE IRON LAKE FISHING CLUB (available on Amazon). Personally, I like this one, it brings to mind a lot of old Veterans I'v known. Four years ago tonight I was sitting with my family, the night before my Dad's funeral. We buried him on his 89th birthday. Man, talk about closing a circle. Anyway, Dad had done his time in WW II i the 102nd Div, Field Artillery, and ate his SOS when it was served like everyone else. So, for all you forum readers who are vets, or were children of vets....This is for you. Thanks, Piper

When Joe came back from Korea he said he’d never eat this again. Dennis spent two years in the Army, one of them in Viet Nam, and told us the same thing. But, once in a while we’ll hear them out in the kitchen laughing and talking. When it gets quiet we know that the SOS, or S**t On A Shingle, or more properly known as Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast is done. We’ll find them sitting with their elbows up on the old painted table, scooping fork-fulls of the creamy delicacy into their mouths.
We’ve learned the hard way not to interrupt them or remind them that they hate the stuff. This is the comfort food of old Vets, just don’t tell them that.
The way Joe and Dennis make it might be a little different than our Uncle Sam and that could explain why they like it more now.
You’ll need a little jar of Dried Beef. This is a good thing to keep on the shelf anyway, it will last a long time with no refrigeration.
You’ll also need some condensed chicken extract or some of the LOW SODIUM Chicken Bullion, milk (of any sort, like always), dried minced onion or fresh-diced onion, black pepper, vegetable oil and white flour.
Start by putting about two tablespoons of oil in a two quart sauce pan and then add about five tablespoons of plain white flour and stir it all together over medium heat for just a couple of minutes, not really to make a dark roux, just to start cooking the flour. Add two cups of milk and stir while heating, and add in a good spoonful of chicken extract or 2-3 low sodium bullion cubes. About this time, drop in a spoonful of dried onion or fresh minced onion. Continue to stir the mix as it heats and thickens.

If you have a helper in the kitchen like Joe or Dennis, they can be chopping or tearing up the dried beef. As the mixture thickens, dump in the beef and a good grind of black pepper. Dennis says that it may take a cup or a bit more of plain water to get the consistency right. Don’t add any salt, there’s plenty in the dried beef. In fact, you might like to just rinse the beef in warm water for just a minute before chopping it up, just to wash some of the sodium out of it.
Some guys like this a little thicker and some like it a little thinner. Some guys say they will never eat it again and then you’ll find them making it for breakfast some day. Dennis likes his over toast, but Joe like biscuits better.
In fact, if you crumble some bulk Italian or breakfast sausage and brown it in a skillet instead of the jarred beef, you can make the best Biscuits ‘n Gravy you’ll ever eat.
Give these old Vets a little space and listen when they talk, you might learn something. And, while you are at it, tell them, “Thank you for your Service.”

Now, get a cup of coffee and sit down to dinner.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Thanks Piper,
I always liked SOS. Love the stuff. The only bad gravy is no gravy. The only exception to that is when they put cream gravy over the top os a Chicken Fried Steak and all the gravy winds up in your plate. Most all the gravy should remain on the top of the steak.
Bob

islandpiper

Wannabe, guys who have never waked up in TEXAS don't know what the heck you are talking about. If i told 'em the chicken fried steak needed to come out on a big plate so there would be room for the waffle they'd be really confused. Heh, heh heh......Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Man ... I have eaten a ton of the SOS. The original with chipped beef and the other the way I like to make it.

My way is with Hamburger. ( This works really good when out camping )
Cook the hamburger ( salt and pepper it as it cooks ) and when it is almost done add some onion , ( Don't drain off the fat ) then take a coffee cup and put a couple spoonful's of flour in it. The amount of flour is judged by how thick you want the gravy.

Now add milk , stiring it till the milk comes to the top of the cup. Make sure all the flour is mixed into the milk.
Add some more black pepper to it and some Cayenne if you want ( I want it ) along with some salt.

Take it and add it to the hamburger and stir all of it together , don't stop stiring it , it will thicken as it cooks.
If it is to thick add some water but not a lot , if it is to runny then add more flour and milk.

When everything looks just right add the Hamburger SOS to the top of some toast then sit back and enjoy it.
It's even good over some rice or noodles.
Basically it is nothing more then hamburger with some of the milk gravy that I like to make. The gravy is simple to do and really good when mixed into/with the drippings from a Beef Roast in the Crock Pot. :D

Chuck.
PS. The best chicken fried steak that I have ever had is from the little restaurant where Ron ( tx river rat ) lives