sailing canoe built on a mohawk | SouthernPaddler.com

sailing canoe built on a mohawk

I bought a pelican, green ugly and tough. I was given a Coleman (pelican), red, ugly and tough. Then I was given a Mohawk, very rough shape, damaged badly during Katrina, repaired badly afterwards. One crack, just behind midship I have already repaired, the other damage will require re-fairing of the stern hull but is do able. I am currently planning to deck the canoe and custom build two amas. I am greatly inspired by the trifoiler, and by the backbay sot design of Chris Ostlind. I am considering moving the sails outboard to the amas. has anyone tried this? what suggestions would water men of your caliber make, would anyone like to go ahead and point and laugh now? Is this as foolish as I feel it may be.

leeh

Jul 24, 2009
When going across or up into the wind, you aint gonna like having a sail on the downwind ama, unless the amas are nearly as bouyant (big) as the canoe, because the sail will just sink the ama and the whole boat will trip over it and try to flip.

I think you need to find a dissertation on Center of Effort vs Center of Gravity. That's what the whole sailing thing is about: balancing the COE & COG. The amas, on a canoe, are just training wheels to help keep the two (COE & COG) from becoming too unbalanced by leaning over too far. Just like a on a little bicycle.

Matt can surely explain all this stuff better than I can.

I do know that, on a canoe where mast placement, crew (weight) placement and leeboard placement have been properly worked out, the boat can be steered by simply moving the leeboard more or less forward, effecting the center of effort. Also by moving weight fore & aft and, to some extent, by letting the sail in or out. So the real trick is finding those best locations, for mast/sail, crew and leeboard. All the amas will do is maybe help you carry the sail in more wind, or perhaps let you carry more sail from the getgo.

What I think I would do is concentrate on getting the canoe sailing and balanced first. Then you could decide later if you even wanted to fool with amas at all.

Now, if you were only planning to sail straight downwind, you could theoretically stick sails anyplace you wanted, since they'd only be pushing forward with no sideways effort to gum up the works.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
In addition to what Leeh said, I would think that it would be harder to mount the masts on the amas strong enough since they would be much smaller hulls with less depth. Also controlling the sails and running the sheets or lines for them would be more difficult.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had a 16 Mohawk ( Blazer) and would sail it.
The support for the mast was up front with a lee board and the lines for the sail came back to where I was. I used it in the canoe and the pirogues I have made.
My rudder was a canoe paddle on the opposite side of the canoe where the sail was , if the sail was over the left the paddle was on the right.
It sure made covering large open areas of water a lot easier and way more fun.

Here is how I made it and gave the plans to Uncle John for his web site.
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/sail/sail.pdf

Chuck.