San Gabriel River Georgetown Tx | SouthernPaddler.com

San Gabriel River Georgetown Tx

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
San Gabriel River
Our youngest daughter drove from Louisiana to visit us this week end. My truck transmission was stuck in 4th gear, so we decided Grandma’s car could get the pirogues the 2 miles to the river. We put in at Camp Tejas, paddled about 2 hours down to Lake Georgetown and then back to Tejas bridge.
We had a great time, just paddling, enjoying the Texas scenery, and each other’s company. Didn’t even take a fishing pole. But we couldn’t help but wonder if there was a Flathead or two hanging out under this ledge.

Good Fish’n
Andy
url=https://postimg.org/image/lve93c7fj/]
20160716_111005.jpg
[/url]

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
catfish said:
Looks like pretty water
:?But what happened to the cypress trees?
:wink: Paddling and no fishing. Isn't that close to blaspheming? :lol:
Pay no attention to my ramblings. Doing anything with your family is a great time. :D

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Bee,
Here’s where the cypress trees are, I’m guessing you’ve been there. I remember well when it was built and was a family favorite for many years.
Recently I spent a few days near Grand Cane, helping a grandson build a pirogue. My daughter and I took an afternoon off for a quick trip down memory lane. A circle through Baudcaw and Dorchet and of course some sweet tea and catfish for lunch.
how do i print screen

Andy

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Andy, good, fresh seafood is something not much available in Michigan. Wayyyyyy too far inland for sushimi; Red Lobster-type places are the norm.

One, sterling variation to that rule is fresh shrimp from the local shrimp farm. Outstanding shrimp. Firmer and sweeter than most shrimp from the sea. We do, though, have great access to smoked fish. Smoked salmon and whitefish are great. Only drawback is, smoked dried fish needs a fair amount of beer to wash it down. sigh

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Andy, good, fresh seafood is something not much available in Michigan

One, sterling variation to that rule is fresh shrimp from the local shrimp farm. Outstanding shrimp. Firmer and sweeter than most shrimp from the sea. sigh

Your taste buds have been shanghaied into thinking farmed shrimp are better the wild ones. It's the same with Catfish , Salmon and just about everything else in the seafood line , farmed is what you eat when the real McCoy is not available.

If you ever eat some of the Georgia White Shrimp ( Loves Seafood , Savanna , Ga ) fresh right off the boat and cooked you will take the farmed ones and toss them in the garbage can. It's the same with the pink shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico , the ones they serve at the Captains Table in Everglades City , all you can eat ( Friday Night ) and they are so sweet and good a couple plates of them is the norm for a supper there.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Sorry, but that isn't the case. I've had Gulf shrimp in both Florida and Louisiana. The farm raised ones are both firmer and sweeter. The owner of the restaurant in Louisana confirmed it in a conversation. I don't know if not having boat toilets dumped on them makes the difference, or if it's something else. But, my experience showed it several times, not just once.

I do continue to enjoy some shrimp and other seafood whenever I'm in the area, though. Darned good.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Sorry, but that isn't the case. I've had Gulf shrimp in both Florida and Louisiana. The farm raised ones are both firmer and sweeter. The owner of the restaurant in Louisana confirmed it in a conversation.

You do have to watch those folks in Louisiana , especially restaurant owners :roll: . I have heard they love playing practical jokes on outsiders.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Sparky yea as I was ready your. Reply. I was thinking the same thing. Youhave to over look. kj . he bumped his head. :?: :lol: his that same feLow that. Don't. Eat grits either yea those wild Georgia shrimp are good. Have. A brother in. Law that is a shrimper, I have never eat at loves. All ways wanted too. Go b :D y there a lot. I am. One day.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It's well worth the time to stop there but just make sure you have some time to sit back and enjoy a meal , they are not stingy with the food and it is dam good.

One Camping ( 2008 Fort McAllister State Park ) trip up there and paddling the river ( The Ogeechee River ) which eventually runs right by them we completed the trip , upstream , and pulled out.
Returned to the campground and cleaned up then went there for supper and I asked the server if I could have a 5 gallon glass of ice cold tea, she brought me a glass that had to hold a gallon of tea. She also put a large pitcher on tea on the table for refills. When the fried ( Georgia Whites ) shrimp arrived the plate was piled high with them. I remembered Oldyakers plate of catfish, hush puppies, corn, and Savannah Red Rice because it is something I like.The other guys plates were loaded with seafood and all of us ate everything and we took our time doing it. The service was excellent , as was the food and plenty of it. You do not leave there hungry.
By the way we got several refills on the pitcher of tea , it was rather warm and almost hot on that paddling trip down river , all day long , and all of us were looking forward to Loves for a meal with ICE cold tea. :D