Sanding question | SouthernPaddler.com

Sanding question

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Okey doke. I got the outer shell glass on along with a couple of coats of epoxy. I sanded it down pretty smooth (at least to the touch), then added a third coat of epoxy. It looks like dung! You can see every little streak and bump which wasn't apparent after I cleaned it off from sanding. I did a respectable jpb with the scarfs and planned on keeping it au natural, but I am dismayed at the results so far. So, here'smy question...

Do I just keep on sanding and wet sanding tomorrow, and add another coat of epoxy when I think it's smooth enough? How smooth is smooth enough, anyway? Or, do I get a hold of some hi-build primer and paint the thing?

Thanks for your advice,

Spike

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Spike,

Use only enough epoxy to fill the weave of the glass. Once any rough patches of square grid-work of glass disappears, quit.

Your last coat, after sanding the final coat of epoxy, will be a UV proof varnish. We haven't talked on here recently of this, but that's what you do. You need a UV proof varnish to protect the epoxy. This stuff sands down nicely, then the last coat goes on for gloss.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Grasshopper, you have learned a most important lesson. The easiest way to sand epoxy is to get it smooth as possible while applying it, negating the need for most of the sanding. It only took me a few years to get that far. :oops:

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Yes Master, I am slowly learning what evreyone else who knows what they're doing has said about epoxy. My Mom always used to say, "Lessons in life are repeated until learned..."

Sanding epoxy is a slow process but a good excuse to drink beer :D

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
When you are sanding the epoxy coated boat, the sanded epoxy surface should be a uniform dull grayish color. Shiny spots are low spots of unsanded epoxy. Wiping the boat down with a damp towel will temporarily restore the wood grain look and give you an idea of what the boat will look like when varnished.

If you can see swirl marks from sanding, you will see swirl marks after you varnish. Varnish will also not fill in low spots.

DM

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Well, finally got the darn thing sanded. Put the inner rails on today...

inner_rails.jpg

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
I finally built a garage last fall. It's not huge, but I gave my wife the upstairs for storage and I got to keep the downstairs for a shop/gym/boatyard.

Mick, you a boxer? A long passed fine art these days. The kids here all watch UFC and consider boxing something like pro wrestling. Anyway, I try to hit it 10-15mins a day -- more when my teenagers piss me off :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Spike,

Not any more. Too old and was allways too slow to be much good. That is why I am so ugly now. :D Used to love the ammateur tournies in my younger days though.

Oh yeah, also, a couple of mates and I used to follow the travelling tent fights in those days too. Travel up to 300 miles on Saturday, couple of fights Saturday night, drive home Sunday and lick our wounds all week and back into it again the next week-end :D Some times, between us, we would win enough money to pay for the petrol, most times we did our dough.

Maryborough, our nearest major regional town has a fine boxing club though. A heap of very keen young blokes (and girls) that allways put in a strong performance at the tournes. Is great to see that there are still those kids around who want to learn the old ways.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
LOL,

Nah mate,The tent fights we used to follow were mainly run by blokes caller Sharman and brophy (spelling?)

The way it used to work was that they each had about half a dozen paid fighters who travelled from town to town. They set up a tent, either just ousside of town or in the towns showgrounds.

All the local likly lads would turn up and those game enough could challenge any of the blokes fighters. If ya won, you got a small payment. if ya lost, ya got hurt. :D

Gloves only and head gear optional,

3 X 2 minute rounds :D